Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back and got a few responses, the wife had not fully decided if she wanted one just yet. She recently made me aware she wants a 20 gauge Benelli with a short LOP such as a youth model. I will see how she feels about O/U went we go to the local shop to fit her out. I know she loves my Legacy Sport over the 390 gas, but they are both just to big and bulky to her (5'1). Any recommendations or advice would be great! I am trying to stay away from gas guns, i am spoiled with the Inertia system and its simplicity.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a Benelli Sport II in 20 ga. with a 28" barrel that I am thinking of selling. It has all the factory accessories and case and is like new with less than a flat of shells through it. It has the wood stock with all of the drop and pitch adjusting shims but you would have to get it cut shorter. PM if interested.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh ya... That sounds like a good candidate! Make her some 3/4 - 7/8 oz loads and see if the fun meter doesn't up with that little silver pigeon. How does it break, Buster? (Stiff?)

It's the kind of gun that with proper loads could really build some confidence if it fits decently. Comb is a plus. Can tube it with 20 ga Brileys and will increase weight so factory 7/8 would shoot nicely but personally I'd just load some of these sweet shooting 3/4 oz loads. I really can't tell the difference in hits for how I shoot but I've realized that I'm completely relaxed now when I shoot. I mean I've been shooting all my life but now I can really take it to the next level with a nice gun (beretta SP1 30") and the right loads.

An over under is a really convenient gun for the range, it just is. Two chokes for doubles of any kind, and everyone feels at ease being able to visually see a weapon is clear, and for the user, too, it's just basic in terms of clearing chamber. Also great for reloaders, with less chambering issues, and plain view of the barrel after each shot, which is habit for me now.

And if it's the right beretta, then you'll easily sell it to move to the next gun for her if she progresses, Or you could also shim it or restock it for you.

I think Buster here has presented a viable option, good luck with the search. And many happy years shooting w the missus!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Go 12 GA 1 oz loads. Visit reputable gun shops and try them out. Ask them if they can fit the gun to her LOP. Youth guns don't have much weight and can pack a kick. If used is acceptable the above options look good. Whatever you do don't force a gun on her that you like. My wife shoots a Remington Versa Max and got it fitted by a competent gunsmith. Have fun together!

·
Premium Member
10,344 Posts
Light weight gas operated auto and cut the stock.

Dont piss around with any other option till that

Purchase a second stock if you need to

Regards

Gene

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am over whelmed with the responses i received, Thanks!!! Buster, I think 1,600 is a little more than i want to spend on a gun for her. Id like to stay under 1,100. I have tried to explain to her the advantages of an O/U even though I don't use one myself. The local gun shop here in Richmond didn't have any O/U in youth or ladies. They did however note that they usually carry a browning micro in youth but didn't currently have it on the shelf. She has began researching herself and has circled around to the Beretta 390 with the expectations that she cleans and maintains it herself. The local sport clay range has 390 youth that they loan out to her when she goes, and she likes it. At the trap field she is running my 12ga 391 28" she hits well with it and does not mind the recoil, but after a box her forend arm cant hold the gun up any more. We do a lot of sporting clays and 5 stand in the summer and she is hell bent on having a Auto Loader like her hubby, i just want her to be satisfied and comfortable with her choice.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
From the title.....did anyone else think he made a great trade!!!!

Seriously.....Sounds like a youth model semi would be a great fit for her.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: Look at the Beretta A300. Great gun for the money. I have a like new 391 24" mobil barrel with mobil forend I would sell. My son shot it just over 200 rounds and then I got him a 682. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

The Winchester SuperX is a supeior trap gun,parts are machined rather than stamped. They can be bought for around the same price as an Rem. 1100 Im guessing....used that is...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts