Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and shot a couple of rounds this evening.
I found that I hit the targets a lot harder if I crawl the stock. It doesn't cause me any more felt recoil. But
unnatural when I'm ready to call for the target.
My three choices are longer length of pull, shorter,
or leave it as is and keep mounting the gun with my
face forward. Which way should I go to get a more
natural feel longer or shorter?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you are shooting good scores, don't fix what is not broken.

If not, then make an appointment to see a stock fitter to see what he says.

Jason

·
Registered
330 Posts
Take your pad off.....cut some cardboard to the shape of your pad....put what you want that will be thinner than your pad...use painters tape to stick it to the stock (won’t hurt the finish) ...add or remove pieces of cardboard till you find what will work for you.. don’t worry about recoil hurting your shoulder.....it won’t, take my word for it, I’ve done this several times to my own guns to get the final length and for other shooters looking for their final length....after you find what you need you can either grind down the thickness of the pad or cut your stock...good luck and give it an honest try...don’t give up after just a few shots..

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I had a friend who crawled the stock on his 870 to the point that his cheekbone rested on the front of the comb. It ripped his cheek open, but since he was shooting so good, he just put a moleskin patch over the bandage and kept shooting.
Another option is to go up. Add an adjustable comb, and test it for comfort and then pattern it when you settle on a height.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It isn't causing any problem with recoil. I'm just getting back into shooting.
So far I've only shot seventy-five targets at a session. I think when I'm
back to shooting two or three hundred in a day mounting my gun with
my face crawling the stock will tire me out too much.
I have an assortment of pads and spacers and plan to try different
lengths. I am trying which way to go first. Generally when a person
is crawling the stock do they need a longer or shorter length of pull.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The reason "crawling" the stock seems to be working has nothing to do with the stock. It actually has to do with concentration. How many times have you seen a guy try a different gun and shoot a great score? Happens all the time. It's something different and you focus. Be careful not to make any assumption about a change, whether it's crawling the stock, foot position, soft focus, etc. Wait until it's no longer "new" before drawing any conclusions. I usually shoot a couple thousand birds before arriving at a judgement. You will be amazed that more often than not the change either makes no improvement in your score or you end up shooting worse.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I can tell you one fact about crawling.
It lowers the poi making the gun shoot flatter.
If you don't like crawling the stock try taking out a 1/8 th" washer.
Henry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts