Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and my face still hurts.

Step one: Figure out that I need to hold the gun in closer on my shoulder. OK...beads line up right but gun seems to be shooting flat and I appear to be missing targets that I know I should be hitting. I got to the patterning board with plenty of paper. Install full choke, 30 yards out. Now, I know one is supposed to use a rest but I didn't have that so I just repeated enough times to see consistency. What I found was that the gun was shooting left (which by reading breaks I could see) and was shooting low...like 50/50 low. Move comb up and over to the right to achieve about 80/20 with the OU barrel, and then put the unsingle on and adjust the rib to get the same pattern.

Step two: Shoot the big 50 right after that. It was hotter than hell, I was tired, but still managed some decent scores in singles/handicap. Doubles was a different story. The gun seemed to be jumping on the second shot.

AM the next day my face hurts.

Step three: Watch pitch videos. Interesting stuff. I add a quarter sized shim. Go out to another shoot on Sunday. Shoot doubles. feels somewhat better...but only shoot an 80. Mind you, my running avg is around a 85 in doubles so I'm not far off. I figure...screw it. If some pitch is good, let's go more. I put in another spacer or two quarters worth. I run a 92 in singles which is right below my average of 94.

NFL Sunday...two games...face hurts.

Step four: Show up at Thursday's big 50. All the spacers and comb settings are still in. I run a 20 in the first 25 of singles. Gun is smacking me in the face. Get majorly pissed off. Face hurts. AA27 guy says "before you throw the gun, take everything out and go back to step one." I take the pitch out. Slam the comb all the way down. Move it all the way back to center. Beads are no longer stacked at all...they are in line. F it. Roll out for the second 25 in singles and run a 24, but the gun shoots like my skeet guns. Dead flat to the point where I almost have to cover the bird up.

Run a pair of 21 in handicap and a 40 in doubles.

Wake up in the AM, ZERO PAIN. None. Zero. I say to myself, maybe I have to learn to shoot this gun this way.

Step five: Show up at another 200 bird race today. Feeling good. Start off with an 18. An 18. I am missing easy birds and the gun appears to be shooting to the left. I realize that if I cover the bird totally up I can sorta break it but they are light hits. To get through the first 100 I ask for 5 minutes and shim the comb up to where I think it was, about 3/8 up. No time to move it over. I end up with an 85. Worst score I've had in a 100 singles run in about 3 years. Move the comb over to the right a little for the second 100. I run a 90, with some mental errors in there. Gun is spanking me all over.

I sit here now at 8pm and my jaw hurts to the point where the right side of my face is numb. Some of the guys mounted my gun and all had the same conclusion that it was very light. I got home and weighed it and it comes in at 8lbs.

So, there's the story. 700ish rounds later and I've managed to kill my average, punch myself in the face about 600 of the 700 rounds over the past three weeks, and I'm ready to send this $5000 gun into orbit. The most expensive gun I've ever bought and it is the worst fitting and performing gun I've ever owned.

I suppose it is time for a stock fitter to figure out what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not comfortable shaving, cutting, slicing, etc. a stock. I know what I have into this gun is chump change for many trapshooters, but the thought of me taking a sander to this brand new stock with no real knowledge of what I am doing isn't going to happen. Time for professional help.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What does he gain shaving the comb that won't get by moving the comb to the side?

If his gun is really only eight pounds its going to hurt.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add that while shooting 1oz helps with the hurt factor, it still hurt. I shot 1 1/8 today and I can feel the difference compared to the Thursday nights.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
What does he gain shaving the comb that won't get by moving the comb to the side?

If his gun is really only eight pounds its going to hurt.
A comb that's to thick will bite you. Keep in mind this gentleman went from a 3200 (thin comb) to this Beretta (substantial comb thickness).

Moving the comb only moves position. It has nothing to do with thickness.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I know that it may be a band aid to the issue but you might try one of these to see if it might help (quick-stick soft comb pad). Meadow Industries, LLC. - Since 1976 - Unique Gun Accessories for Trap, Skeet, Hunting and Sporting Clays

I have to put a "cheek-eez pad on Rem 870 field guns as they beat the crap out of my cheek. I just did a 500 round doubles marathon with my Remington SPR310 that has a 3/16" version on it and other than being sore from 500 rounds today, the cheek is fine, even able to win the Class "C" award.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As Pheasant master and I both said, the comb is too thick..... Beretta's come from the factory designed to shoot low on the shoulder,
watch the international guys shoot them....they shoot off the end of the barrel, low mount, completely different deal....If your going to shoot upright with the
gun mounted higher on the shoulder, its going to beat your cheek if you do not "offset" the comb along with the side of the stock below the comb
on the faceside of the stock. Moving the comb over via the adjustment will not do it to the extent you need, the comb needs to be "rolled" over. It would be
well worth the time and money to see a good stockfitter, in person, to do that for you. Throw a recoil reducer in the stock as well, it looks like it needs
about 1 -1/2 lbs as an 8lb gun will beat you up....while your at it, add some weight to the barrels as well, i.e., golf club lead tape works well, tape it on the barrel sides
inside the fore-end grip. Finally, if your 5'9 to 6ft with normal build and arm length....you should try shooting an LOP of about 14 3/4" at minimum.
If the stock is too short it will kick up into your face, lengthening the LOP smooths out any gun and reduces felt "upwards" recoil significantly.
If you do all these things I can virtually guarantee the face felt recoil will be reduced by 40%, maybe more......Then after that you can play with pitch
to fine tune it.....an easy way to gauge pitch is the Ole' lean the gun against the wall deal, with the butt flat on the floor, top of the rib against the wall....you should see about 1-1/2" to 2" between the wall and the end of the barrel, that's a good place to start......You can do this, trust me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an email into Allem's in the Allentown, PA area. They are only an hour and a half from me and came recommended from several people. If anyone else has suggestions in case they are backlogged for months, fire away. I'm in the Trenton, NJ area.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Have you seen my thread with the cheek slap questionnaire? There are so many different solutions listed by shooters out there it is amazing. Stop beating yourself up physically and emotionally and run to an experienced fitter. And I'm a DIY guy at heart. Your story is painful to read.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Consider doing videos before and after a full fitting, of you shooting straight aways at the same trap. Step off the distance between you and the camera. Make it the same trap before/after. Use an iPhone because they have such a good camera. This could be very instructive for a lot of people including yourself.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
Wasn't there a stock maker on here last yr. with the name Joe Goldberg? I'm not sure about his name but he was a stock fitter out of, I believe, NJ. or NY. Don't have his number. Maybe someone can help me out with his info for this shooter.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I'm not comfortable shaving, cutting, slicing, etc. a stock. I know what I have into this gun is chump change for many trapshooters, but the thought of me taking a sander to this brand new stock with no real knowledge of what I am doing isn't going to happen. Time for professional help.
While I understand that you may not want to whittle on your stock, Iam trying to explain what maybe necessary if your going to enjoy shooting this gun.

Yes, $5000 is a significant investment and my suggestion was not directed one way or the other to a cost factor but rather to your comfort and enjoyment of your new acquisition.

You can try putting lead in the stock but Iam not sure that 1-1.5# is going to give you the comfort level you seek atleast with 1.125 loadings. One of the stick on comb pads will help.

See the stock fitter. Make sure you select one that truly can.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wasn't there a stock maker on here last yr. with the name Joe Goldberg? I'm not sure about his name but he was a stock fitter out of, I believe, NJ. or NY. Don't have his number. Maybe someone can help me out with his info for this shooter.

I believe Joe has been having some health issues of late. But if you want to try to contact him, His # is (609) 653-9580 He is located in Somers Point.

Can I ask what gun you are shooting? As that has A lot to do with what your results will be like at Allems. PM me if you want for specifics.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have an email into Allem's in the Allentown, PA area. They are only an hour and a half from me and came recommended from several people. If anyone else has suggestions in case they are backlogged for months, fire away. I'm in the Trenton, NJ area.
Good luck. I spoke on the phone with the Son and asked him to e-mail me a pic of their release roller for a K-80.......over 6 months later and still waiting. Not really, I got Allor to install al set.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
One comment I'll make is that if your face is already hurting from shooting on Saturday and you go back out on Sunday you probably aren't giving your face a chance to heal. It might hurt regardless of what you do on Sunday.

What's interesting in your story is that Friday morning you had zero face pain after shooting it with the comb all the way down. Seems like that face to comb position works for you regardless of where it pointed.

Sunday you are the sorest you have been (face numb) after moving the comb back up and right. Your changing the geometry and pheasantmaster/cheer40 are probably dead on. You need a profession to assist you and probably modify the stock. Hopefully you can find someone you will trust and not have to wait an eternity to get an appointment.

No idea if you are still wanting to play with fit or not at this point but maybe you can "band-aid" a solution short term to take some of the pain out of shooting until you can get the pro gun fit.

Concerning pitch. Forget the wall measurements and all that. Adjust it so that the toe and heal of the pad are making equal contact when mounted. Just get it comfortable and leave it at that.

Band-aid: Try ordering a soft comb pad Meadow Industries, LLC. - Since 1976 - Unique Gun Accessories for Trap, Skeet, Hunting and Sporting Clays as Dustdevl21 suggested or a Beretta clear pad. Order the thickest one you can install. They are cheap and can easily be removed. It's no substitue for proper work done on the gun but will give you some face cushion.

If you do this start with the comb low (which seemed to work for you) and gradually raise it to see where face pain comes back into play. Do it practicing so you don't kill your scores. :) Don't worry about poi/poa at this point as you are only trying to see if you can get rid of the face slap. You may get lucky enough to raise the comb enough to keep shooting it until you can get the pro gun fit.

Concerning other things you could do to help reduce recoil that were mentioned. If you were to add 1.5 pounds to the gun as someone else suggested it would reduce recoil: Shotshell Energy

Shot Weight: 1.125
Velocity: 1200 fps
Gun Weight: 8 pounds
Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy 20.3

Velocity: 1200 fps
Gun Weight: 9.5 pounds
Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy 17.1

Velocity: 1150 fps <- lowering velocity
Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy 15.8

Shot Weight: 1 ounce <- lowering shot weight
Velocity: 1150 fps
Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy 13.1

You can play with the calculator with different velocities, shot weights and gun weights to see what affect they have on recoil energy. Granted 1.5 pounds is a lot of additional weight but if it's still comfortable. Surely you could probably add some additional weight to help you short term. Anything you can do that doesn't handicap you will help "band-aid" the situation.

It's really hard to read your story. We all feel your pain (pun intended) of spending all that $ and then suffering when trying to use it. Have you thought about shelving it until you can get the gun fit and going back to your 1100?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts