Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd Question:

I was recently in my safe and noticed the dark wood on my 391 Urika 2 Sporting is not as dark as I recall.

My safe is in my garage and has a rechargeable dehumidifier in it.

Crazy question, but can dark colored stocks/forends have their color lightened when stored in a low temperature or if there is a dehumidifier in the safe?

Or am I just seeing something that isn't so?

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
I've seen bluing colors change over time, but never wood color.

Let me expound. Sure, high humidity, etc. will impact finishes, but cool temps and low humidity should keep things in check.

I guess you might see a rxn to the chemicals in the dehumidifier (some will certainly volatilize), but I would expect that with the bluing, not the wood. Further, bluing, if not properly terminated, will continue to impact the base metal for years.

Is the finish a urethane or oil??

Reactions: K80pro#8

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I lost faith in the rechargeable dehumidifiers when I placed a Dollar Tree $1 dehumidifier along side of it and the color of the desiccant didn't change but the $1 unit had water in it.
The units I was using were the type that you plug into a wall outlet to recharge but there is no real way to know if it's really working, or just how much water it might be retaining.

I also use a Golden Rod in my safe, I have never noticed any color changes in the wood. Do you have any old pictures of the stock? That might help to confirm your suspicions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen bluing colors change over time, but never wood color.

Let me expound. Sure, high humidity, etc. will impact finishes, but cool temps and low humidity should keep things in check.

I guess you might see a rxn to the chemicals in the dehumidifier (some will certainly volatilize), but I would expect that with the bluing, not the wood. Further, bluing, if not properly terminated, will continue to impact the base metal for years.

Is the finish a urethane or oil??
I'm not worried about the bluing, its just fine.

Its a factory Beretta 391 Urika 2 stock.
Specifically, the Xtra Grain.
I'm sure it has a polyurethane clear coat.

I did some research and found a few interesting posts.

One claims that wood with polyurethane clear coats will yellow, or lighten in color, over time due to a lack of natural sunlight.
Also, when exposed again the visible color will return back to its original shade.

This would fit as my 391 has been in the safe for at least three months.

Can anyone with knowledge on oil-based polyurethane clear coats give their input?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have 2 safes in the garage..been burning a 40 w light bulb in each for years..recently added a golden rod in the big one cause it was free..may add one to small safe because the old style bulbs are getting harder to find..zero rust with the light bulbs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts