Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently returned to shotgun sports and started shooting sporting clays with my Father-in-Law and some of his buddies so I purchased a CG Summit Impact for this thinking that I would be able to shoot this for Trap as well. As I have shot I realized that if I am going to be shooting trap (which I am) I like a higher rib gun with a more heads up posture. And lets be honest is there ever really a reason to talk oneself out of purchasing a new shotgun?

I would however love to hear peoples opinion on this subject. I am getting a hi-rib o/u 32" so I can shoot singles and doubles with the same platform which is what I would really love the feedback on.

Everyone be safe!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I recently returned to shotgun sports and started shooting sporting clays with my Father-in-Law and some of his buddies so I purchased a CG Summit Impact for this thinking that I would be able to shoot this for Trap as well. As I have shot I realized that if I am going to be shooting trap (which I am) I like a higher rib gun with a more heads up posture. And lets be honest is there ever really a reason to talk oneself out of purchasing a new shotgun?

I would however love to hear peoples opinion on this subject. I am getting a hi-rib o/u 32" so I can shoot singles and doubles with the same platform which is what I would really love the feedback on.

Everyone be safe!!!
A CG Summit Impact is a gun that is very easily used for Trap. Use mine for this anytime I feel like it . I just set it up to shoot about 90/10. Have not found this gun to be detrimental to the Trap game at all .
However my favorite gun for trap is my MX-15 .
No there is never a reason to talk yourself out of a new gun.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Personally.... I'd be all over a 725 trap combo from Guns Unlimited ... or like Rich just purchased, the cxt unlimited..

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
You can install a adj. butt plate and lower it. This will give you the more heads up position you are looking for. If you truly want a higher rib. Just contact Add-a-rib company and have a higher rib added to your current shotgun. Beware of the guy who shoots just one gun!!!

You can shoot both games with the same shotgun. Now if you just want to buy another shotgun to have two? Well that's up to you. Its just harder to switch shotguns that are set-up differently. Maybe, A unsingle barrel could be added to your shotgun as well? It would have the higher barrel. If you could get one that works with your current stock for the O/U barrel? Mmm break em all Jeff

·
Keystone Shooter
2,183 Posts
I too like the higher rib heads up posture for trap. I fined tuned my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Special 32” X Trap barrels to shoot 100% high. Love the fit. I haven’t tried shooting sporting clays with it yet, but don’t really care. I bought It for trap. Good luck on your quest.
Chief
F9BCD67A-CF6A-40C5-8600-2F58F1927CCD.jpeg

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun! Good ahead and buy it but realize you don't need to.
I just purchased a Summit Impact. and think it'll do fine for trap and any other shooting games. I also have a Browning CXT and Krieghoff KS5 Special. The KS5 is a real clay breaker. It has the adjustable rib and comb similar to the Guerini Impact.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun! Good ahead and buy it but realize you don't need to.
I just purchased a Summit Impact. and think it'll do fine for trap and any other shooting games. I also have a Browning CXT and Krieghoff KS5 Special. The KS5 is a real clay breaker. It has the adjustable rib and comb similar to the Guerini Impact.
Do any of us need an excuse to purchase another gun? Lol. Since I’m new at sporting clays I thought that leaving that gun set up to do that well and have the higher rib gun for trap.

·
Registered
940 Posts
How long is the Summit Impact barrel ? If its 30", I say definitely buy a 32" o/u for trap. I noticed an advantage going from 30 to 32" for trap.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long is the Summit Impact barrel ? If its 30", I say definitely buy a 32" o/u for trap. I noticed an advantage going from 30 to 32" for trap.
the summit is 30”. The question was more about making sense of shooting trap doubles and singles with the same platform. Instead of having an unsingle for singles and a different gun all together for doubles. I wasn’t real clear in my first post as I re read.
I appreciate all of the input. There’s a wealth of information on this site.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I tried shooting my Kolar O/U trap for sporting clays and it did not work. Always shot over the bird. Bought a 525 sporting and scores have gone way up. Also starting with the gun not mounted is allowing me to see the first bird better.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried shooting my Kolar O/U trap for sporting clays and it did not work. Always shot over the bird. Bought a 525 sporting and scores have gone way up. Also starting with the gun not mounted is allowing me to see the first bird better.
Not mounting the gun before the first bird is really good advice. I’ve shot way more trap and it’s similar but different enough and I’m still learning. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You have to have a backup gun at a min.

So get a new trap gun, and a backup trap gun, and a backup sporting clays gun.

I'm a problem solved.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
NDTrap13 - It's looking like you may have to start another thread, asking directly for advice regarding shooting all of the three trap disciplines with the same O/U shotgun. I shoot a combo, so I'm not any help to you, but I'm very interested to learn the responses of other shooters who do use their O/U guns for everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can install a adj. butt plate and lower it. This will give you the more heads up position you are looking for. If you truly want a higher rib. Just contact Add-a-rib company and have a higher rib added to your current shotgun. Beware of the guy who shoots just one gun!!!

You can shoot both games with the same shotgun. Now if you just want to buy another shotgun to have two? Well that's up to you. Its just harder to switch shotguns that are set-up differently. Maybe, A unsingle barrel could be added to your shotgun as well? It would have the higher barrel. If you could get one that works with your current stock for the O/U barrel? Mmm break em all Jeff
that sounds like the easiest. get a unsingle high rib barrel and have it fitted to your reciever

·
Keystone Shooter
2,183 Posts
Since we are talking about two different guns, one for trap, and another for sporting clays, here’s what I do. I shoot my high rib Beretta, Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Special for trap, and my Japanese SKB 85 TSS 28” barrels, factory Magna Ported barrels. With a straight stock, adjustable comb and screw in choke tubes for sporting clays. I’ve also shot the SKB at trap and have done very well by adding a couple of spacers under the comb to get the desired POI. Picked the SKB up used, at Cabalas Gun Library, for a very reasonable price.
Chief
33DF19A4-06A1-47A0-B78B-0DDE2A3596F3.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
The browning citori cxt is a great gun. 70/30 POI, Monte Carlo stock. You could also get the adjustable comb for more money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Citori CXT is for Trap.

Just to clarify, the CXS is 50/50 for Skeet; the CX is 60/40 ( I own one and use it for everything, though a dedicated gun for each discipline might be even better)...and the CXT is 70/30 and designed for TRAP. My CX came with an adjustable comb for $2200 or so.

I understand that there are offerings now from large retailers that include both the adjustable comb and the adjustable rib. That would be my choice if I had to do it over. However, it is not something that I couldn't add now..... if I chose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts