Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have always found it ironic that some gun clubs hire managers without any social skills. I also find it puzzling when an owner of a gun club has the personality of a junk yard dog.

Here in my neck of the woods, there is one club that is some what friendly to shooters but the owner is seldom there and it's a crap shoot who is scheduled that day to work behind the counter.

At first I started thinking, that maybe I was to critical in what I expect when I enter a gun club? After thinking about it a bit longer I have come to the conclusion that it should not be to difficult for the owner or manager to say hello and maybe ask how ya doing once in awhile?

At another club I witnessed one shooter ask the person in charge if he could pick up his winnings only to be yelled at and the person in charge saying " do you honestly think I have the time to look up the amount you won and pay you out at this time? I will look at the records later". If my memory serves me correctly this individual accepted his cash to shoot immediately without any delay.

At yet another club when someone walks into the club house the individual in charge puts their head down not to have to speak to the person. About the only time the person in charge is a bit friendlier is when the club is looking for free donations or free help.

Sad to say that some of the clubs in my area seem to find ways to close up early or not open at all should there be any sign of inclement weather. I personally found out the hard way one day that a club did not want anyone just to drop in and just visit. I sat down at one of the tables for 5 minutes and then I was greeted with the person in charge coming over and saying in a stern voice "are you, or are you not, planing to shoot" and before I could respond this person turned around and walked away?

I was planning to shoot that day and I was actually waiting for a friend to show up before we signed up to shoot. I then told this individual that I was just visiting and left and once outside the club I called my friend and we met at another club and shot a couple of practice rounds.

It's still a mystery to me why some owners are not customer friendly and why some clubs still hire people who run their club without friendly personalities and lack social skills of any kind? I would think these particular clubs would benefit if they put a bit more effort in at least making their customers feel a bit more welcome.

Am I expecting to much in this day and age?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I've experienced many of the things you described. Unfortunately, some folks just aren't very friendly. No one that fits that description should ever be the manager, cashier or contact person at a gun club, but I've sure met my share of them.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
"I sat down at one of the tables for 5 minutes and then I was greeted with the person in charge coming over and saying in a stern voice "are you, or are you not, planing to shoot" and before I could respond this person turned around and walked away."

I would have said "Maybe after you take my order for breakfast!"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Unfortunately, this type of attitude is not limited to folks gun clubs. My boys went slot racing several years ago, and when I tried to asked the owner several questions before buying gear, he became surely and ignored me for the most part. All I wanted to do was spend money in the place. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The impression I get at some clubs is that they think they are doing the shooters a favor by allowing them to shot at their club. There are other clubs that are available to shoot at and their club is not the only club in town to spend our hard earned money at.

Luckily I have found a club that makes you feel welcome and appreciates the trapshooter's business.
Steve

·
Registered
365 Posts
all this makes me happy I belong to a self service club. It's open when I unlock the door, the trap I set up is the one I want to shoot on, the way I want to set it. and since we don't have to pay some jerk to drive away shooters it's only $3.50 a round.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Moscow is set up the same way on most days that there are no organized events.
A nicer group of guys you will never meet!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have experienced some of the same and have puzzled over it not only at shooting clubs but also in gun stores. I always attribute it to either an inferiority complex and/or irritation with people showing up and shooting their mouths off about what an expert they are. Take your pick or add another one. In any case, you are correct that, whatever the reason, negative attitudes are counterproductive and make no sense.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Too much. Will be the death of shooting around the country.
That is the going rate around the Twin Cities in MN. Which is just absolutely too high when you can shoot registered programs for less.

Curious what rounds are at Tucson because we are moving there in 2.5 months.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That is the going rate around the Twin Cities in MN. Which is just absolutely too high when you can shoot registered programs for less.

Curious what rounds are at Tucson because we are moving there in 2.5 months.
In New Mexico, I belong to two clubs. One is $3.50 and the other is 4.50 per round. Wholesale targets are roughly the same price in most regions of the country. Some clubs take advantage of shooters, plainly. Good luck in Tucson.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In New Mexico, I belong to two clubs. One is $3.50 and the other is 4.50 per round. Wholesale targets are roughly the same price in most regions of the country. Some clubs take advantage of shooters, plainly. Good luck in Tucson.

Kind of what I was thinking on the taking advantage. I came from $3 to $7. And they throw more targets than where Incame from and get plenty of DNR $ from the kids trapshoot. Seems like taking advantage. But up here they don't seem to mind.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
"Am I expecting to much in this day and age?"

Unfortunately, yes. It is a trend that is only going to get worse with non face-to-face technology of communication. Now days when you hold the door or say hello, people think you are f'ing nuts and want something from them. Strangers being friendly is a negative first thought. Sad reality of were we are as a society.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Am I expecting to much in this day and age?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
It could be you are, Steve.
Consider what a club needs in a manager:
Honesty
Energy
Personality
Self-motivated, able to prioritize.
Willing to have multiple bosses (the board of directors).
Temperment to deal with all kinds of characters
Quite possibly have skills as a trap repairman/electrician
Be willing to do lawn maintenance at times.

Then, consider what many managers earn.
Then combine that with the desire (right in this thread) of the members to shoot for $3.50/$4.50 per round.

So...... there are not a whole lot of honest, energetic, personable, knowledgeable guys willing to take on the job at the average pay scale of a club manager at a medium or small club.
Big clubs are a different story. They have the bucks to pay for top talent. Smaller clubs often have to accept less than top talent. Not much different in any profession really.
I know I wouldn't take the job of club manager unless I was starving. I'd rather work at a dynamite factory.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Steve, Just a thought? Maybe you could volunteer at any of the clubs you speak of rather than BITCH, how someone is doing? Your smiley face may even attract more shooters?
DaveB OH
A club that is all volunteer help!

·
Registered
29,316 Posts
Many times clubs end up,with members in charge, because other members do not want the job. This type of behavior is not limited to just gun clubs. A couple weeks ago. I donated some tools and a few car parts like a brand new, unused chrome alternator worth about 125 bucks alone to a local car club. I had been thinking about joining the club but after the treatment by the person I was dealing with, I decided not to. The guy acted like I was really an inconvience to him until he looked at the stuff I was donating. He went and got a cart, swooped it up, and disappeared into the club house. Not so much as a thank you from him. I spent another 15-20 minutes with other members who looked at my hotrod, admired it, asked me questions about it and several asked me to join the club. I told them I might just do that, but after I got home, I decided not to, because of the treatment I got from the club manager.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts