Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if Clubs are moving in that direction, and benefits to the club if all members belong to the NRA.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Chip, as a gun owner and choosing not to be an NRA member, in my opinion, is foolish. Where do you donate money that supports your second amendment rights? I mean you do donate right, as you can see the trend of the government is against your rights, so name the organization you donate too. I do not know of any other organization that works as hard or as much as the NRA, but I may be missing something. Scott

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I never allow any organization to dictate that I show support for an outside organization. It wouldn't matter if it was disabled vets or little sisters of the poor. You don't get to decide where to throw my support, that's an individual decision.

I also don't support militant organizations that use fear mongering as a platform for existence.

Here in Illinois, we have possibly the most corrupt political system in the country. The chief of which is a state rep by the name of Mike Madigan. Everyone in Madigans district knows exactly who and what he is, but since he does good for their district, they continue to elect someone that falls well below their bar for acceptable behavior.

My point is, that just because an organization furthers something in your best interest, doesn't make them worthy of your support. This is how I feel about the NRA. I don't believe they are truthful or would represent my interests in a manner consistent with my beliefs. Therefore, if I were to support them, I would be a hypocrite only interested in further my own selfish objectives at the cost of my basic tenets.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Some clubs get their insurance through the NRA, and NRA membership for members is one of the conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,173 Posts
Our club is 100% NRA, it's a condition of membership and checked every year at membership renewal. The club gets a kickback from NRA for every new/renewal that goes through the club.

Several years ago a bylaw amendment was voted down to also require membership in the Illinois State Rifle Association. Both would be fine with me. Harv

·
Registered
956 Posts
Aww Geeze... someone from north of I-80 with a lecture on hypocrisy.

You guys ever think of having your own state? You can count on 95+ percent of us downstate to support your efforts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
For those of you who indicate that a club is forcing you to be an NRA member . . .

That is absolutely not the case. You are under no obligation to become an NRA member. If you are not an NRA member it means you can't be a member of that particular club, but they are in no way forcing you to be a member of the NRA.

The decision is all yours.

Scott

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
I am and have been a Life Member of the NRA for many years but can see Chip's point clearly and with objectivity ... I don't want anyone with any amount of reasons to try and dictate to me or they will meet a resistance like they have never seen ... I made a choice on my own of my own mind to join, had I not I would still be me with a bunch of clowns trying to tell me what to do, when to and how to do it ... If you are a member, good for you, if you are not good for you also ...
The clubs who turn away business because someone has their own mind deserve to go broke and have their doors closed ... If they advertise open to the Public, and you turn away anyone who is Public you are opening the door to a Law suit ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Chip

You did not answer Scott on how you support the Second Amendment ??

Harv

That makes DGSC even a better club. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Harv,

I vote and support the candidates of my choice...anything besides that is no ones business but mine.

Scott,

Making membership in the NRA a requirement of membership in a club is extortion. You are twisting someones arm to get something out them by holding something else hostage. Sure, you can elect to shoot the hostage, but it doesn't change the fact that it's extortion of ideals. You're right, I wouldn't join that club, anymore than I would support a wounded warrior project that required me to be a member of PETA. Letting people make their own decisions about who to support and how seems the most appropriate approach.

tanda1,

Please tell me, have more of the last 6 Illinois Governors that have gone to jail, come from north or south of I-80? Should I judge you as corrupt because the answer is south, or should I not be so lazy as to dismiss you and your opinion as corrupt on the sole basis of where you live?

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Its not a matter of what you support or believe in, its a matter forcing a membership to another organization. Look how many people on this site complain about the mailings from the NRA. Some have even said they dropped their membership while others have stated they won't join for that reason.

A private club MIGHT be able to get away with requiring a forced membership to another organization but one like the Izaak Walton could face a lawsuit

I could go along with a strong recommendation of a second party membership but not a requirement.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Chip,
I deferred from making a club "have" to join NRA, my comment was if you are a gun owner and do not support NRA, who do you honestly think protects your second amendment rights? If you think the government supports the constitution, you are mistaken, the constitution was originally developed to protect people from the government. In my opinion, politicians in control do not care one iota for the constitution. We are in an era of you better become involved as things appear to be changing fast and to think things will not be lost cause they never were is very wishful thinking. My opinion, clubs should make it very available to join. Chip if you think a politician will support your beliefs that is wishful thinking also, most do what benefits themselves or to get a vote. Neville Chamberlain thought Hitler would never invade another country also because he believed what a tyrant told him, and unfortunately history has a way of repeating itself. YMMV. Scott

·
Registered
796 Posts
I must agree with the mailing issue. I make sure on renewal form that I write across the top of app. "Do Not Mail Meaningless BS " as it is a waste of my membership money. That has stoped mailing for myself anyway.

·
Registered
574 Posts
BTW some IL ccw instructors are charging $25 more for classes if you are not an NRA member...and then they will use that money to pay a membership for you if you would like.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ExFedex,

You know this by hanging out in local gravel pits and surveying the people there for NRA membership, or is your broad brush just painting the bigoted picture you want, rather than have any sense of accuracy or truth to it? Please do share with the rest of us how you take notice of these things.

Regards,

Chip

1 - 20 of 141 Posts