Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I still had once fired GC hulls littered all over the range at my local clubs I probably wouldn't load them more then 4 times either. However most around me that shoot new shells now shoot the cheap 100 round Federal packs and I don't care to try and load them. So as of late I have to pay for my GC hulls unfortunately... So I load them until I start see small splits developing in the crimp folds.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Does any notice a difference in performance from your reloads in newer, reloaded only a few times, Gun Club Hulls, vs those loaded 4 or more times? Not frayed cracked or worn at the mouth, just evidence that they have been reloaded more.

Looking for practical experience on the range or on the pattern board. I really cannot tell.

I knew folks in the past that discarded hulls after 3 loads including the initial firing of the factory load. They shot all factory premium ammo, RXP & AA.
Yes, I have noticed some variability in Gun Club hull durability. The Gun Club hull is a great hull to reload, and I easity can get at least 5 reloads to a hull, but that is somewhat dependent on the particular lot that hulls come from. Along with their reloadability, there is also, unfortunately, some variability in length, resulting in some crimps that provide less than ideal closure. The majority of the Gun Club hulls are just fine, but once in a while, they leave something to be desired as far as consistent length.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,334 Posts
I quit reloading a hull when I get tired of looking at it or when newer hulls are readily available. I quit reloading AA's and STS's because the Top Guns and Gun Clubs are readily available, free and they can be picked up with a magnet.

·
Registered
29,050 Posts
Winchester Super Targets are easy to reload too. Up until recently, the Universal sold in the 4 packs came with a 6 point crimp but now seem to be sporting the 8 point like the ST. Either one is easily found on trap fields like GC‘s, Estates and TG’s.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've long used appearance to determine when to retire a GC hull. The older the hull gets the less the mouth opens after it's been fired. Here's a photo of 3 hulls labled according to the number of times they've been reloaded. This is excatly how they looked when I got them home from the range. I don't take them past 5 any more:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, I have noticed some variability in Gun Club hull durability. The Gun Club hull is a great hull to reload, and I easity can get at least 5 reloads to a hull, but that is somewhat dependent on the particular lot that hulls come from. Along with their reloadability, there is also, unfortunately, some variability in length, resulting in some crimps that provide less than ideal closure. The majority of the Gun Club hulls are just fine, but once in a while, they leave something to be desired as far as consistent length.
That is a good point. If I had to make a complaint about the GC is that they vary in length. Most crimp really nice, some will have a small hole, others will crimp a bit shallow for my liking but I don't notice any difference in performance.

·
Registered
Ljutic
50 Posts
I load them till cracks and splits show up then toss. Have any of you all loaded the new Blue Remington's yet ? They look like European made cheap hulls.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Gun Club hulls. I Normally load nothing but STS hulls is they reload very good with no adjustments to my MEC 8567 reloader.
Do they reload as good as STS hulls no out of 500 reloads I will have a few more goofy folded reloads with Gun Clubs. They also require slightly more force reloading but slightly but there is a difference.
I was given several thousand from a Friend and will use them.
They have worked fine in my Gun’s so far. Just FYI a Friend of mine shoots a Model 12 pre-64 and any brand steel hull stocks in the chamber even when new. So yes Steel hulls are not for everyone.
I see the biggest advantage is a unlimited supply from people who do not reload

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gun Clubs will reload 8 + times on average. STS as many times and more....The new Rem light Green Hulls get stiff and brittle at the crimp end after 4 or 5 reloads. These are my primary hulls ...the Mec And PW just run them through.....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Gun Clubs will reload 8 + times on average. STS as many times and more....
Yes, they will, but that begs the question "should they be?". I've seen hulls of several brands that have been pushed through unnecessarily high numbers of recycles come apart in that last firing to leave a section of hull tube in the barrel where it's very difficult to see and more difficult to remove. (Federal went through a spate of this kind of failure several years ago when they changed the design of their hull tubes.) At the Cardinal Classic 2 years ago I was watching a shoot-off with friends when several of us noticed that one of the shooters' gun had ejected a hull base without the tube. Hardly anybody ever checks to see what their gun ejected so I wasn't surprised that the shooter was unaware of it. We brought it to the attention of the referee immediately. He stopped the shooting and called for an inspection of the gun in question which revealed the entire hull tube neatly lodged in the middle of the barrel. It took some gunsmith-aided efforts to free the tube so the shoot could continue. That's a primary reason that I have changed the ejectors of by Browning XTs to extract rather than toyuiop[\ eject; it's unknown what would have happened had the tube remained in the barrel to impede the progress of the next wad through.

I figure 4 or 5 reloads of any good hull is plenty, and I have since made it SOP to inspect every hull that is extracted from my gun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I acquired a fair number of GC hulls. I usually reload STS and Nitros as I think they make a nice reload, the GCs not so much. Therefore, I load the GCs with light 1oz practice loads and toss them after one reloading.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts