Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
I just keep reloading until I see a crack...usually 6 to 9 reloads per hull. Never had an issue...RCBS Grand press.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
With winter league going 12 weeks plus the Calcutta at the end most shooters a the club just buy shells and do not reload I end up with 3 to 4 thousand hulls witch last me for the trap season if I load them 4 times then let them fly even though I could get another 3 or 4 reloads out of them.

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
I don't track how many times I load a hull, but I have seen evidence on some - not all - GC's of slight gas leakage at the primer (win 209). I have had several (out of several thousand) primers fall out after firing. Each time a primer fell out, it caused either an 870 or an 11-87 to FTF. I had to pull the trigger group to clear it.

If you shoot an O/U and a primer falls out, it won't cause an FTF. But having gas come back at the breech is probably not desirable either.

If GC's are easy to come by for you, I would toss them at the first sign gas leakage. If (like me) hulls are difficult to come by, I would have a supply of Cheddite, Fiocchi, or Rio primers to use in place of the Win 209, as they are larger in diameter.

I shoot an O/U, but my wife shoots an 11-87. My plan is to box shells showing gas leakage for my use, and the "good" shells for her use.

Note that I have not yet gotten to the point where I have had to use any of those three primers yet, so I may be talking out my a$$.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did this experiment on my MEC9000GN.
Took 100 Gun Club, 100 STS, and 100 Nitro Gold factory rounds and cycled through them, until they split, or were otherwise usless.
Seemed to be at 7 firings, I began culling quite a few.
Most made it to 8-9 firings.
By 10, I was sure I could have gone "Just one more!" on the handful that were left, but decided to pitch them.
The STS and Nitros definitely looked/performed better than the Gun Clubs, but not by a great enough margin to matter to me.
I'm talking 1, maybe 2 firings better here. Last 10 hulls I pitched: 4-STS, 4-Nitro, and 2-GC
I got into reloading, thinking that if I could get 5 generations out of each hull, I'd be doing well.
I am pleased with the results of my experiment. Haven't done this with Win AAs yet.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't keep track I just load them until they split.

Reactions: pbansen and timb99

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
I load them till they start to split in the folds. FWIW sd long as the crimp is flat across the top you will have good pressure for proper ignition. Old style AA's on the other hand, get tossed when the crimp gets a rounded dome in the middle.

HM

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use a Mec size master on them for the first reload so they go through my PW nice and smooth....after that my PW seems to size them just fine. They do seem to take less effort to crimp after the first reload but I don't notice any loss in performance. I can get about 8-10 loads out of them easy before I pitch them...mainly because they are black but they would probably go more.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
They're the most durable hull you can reload. Some people have issues with the steel rims. l don't
Many hull snobs will not fool with the steel rimmed Remington hull. Myself, I am not burdened by that restriction and load them with no reservation.and am pleased to do so.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
There are two camps of Gun Club reloaders: One and done, and load 'em til you can't. I am in neither group, as I don't trust steel bases in my guns. If I did, I'd be in the second camp.

·
Registered
771 Posts
When Tom Armbrust did this test 20-some years ago he found little if any appreciable change in ballistics over the life of the hulls. It's difficult to tell how much the composition of the plastic used to make hulls has changed over that time or how much effect it would have on the subject but it's an interesting history lesson anyway.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don’t mess with them too often but have reloaded them.

I did reload one 13 times and with that said I do not get that life out of any CF AA or STS or Nitro.

·
Registered
29,001 Posts
When Tom Armbrust did this test 20-some years ago he found little if any appreciable change in ballistics over the life of the hulls. It's difficult to tell how much the composition of the plastic used to make hulls has changed over that time or how much effect it would have on the subject but it's an interesting history lesson anyway.
I remember that article. If my memory is correct it appeared in American Shotgunner when he wrote monthly articles for it. Some of the hulls had some slight increases in velocity after time. When that article was written, in the late 1970’s shot was around 15.00 bucks a bag when Winchester and Remington hard shot was readily available.

At this time you cannot find either Winchester or Remington and end up paying 43.00 bucks for any shot including that which is considered soft. That works out to 12 cents for a 1-1/8oz load, 11 cents for a 1 oz load and that is only if you have zero spillage, perfectly dropped, sorted and weighed shot.

I am overly redundant on this issue. You can find GC hulls anywhere for free. Their cost is zero in that case. The hull is the cheapest of components now days and with shot costing as much as it does, I see little point in reloading hulls with split mouths and poor crimps.

In spite of number times proven, I see little advantage in keeping, handling, storing and reloading hulls that have been reloaded more than 4 times. I give a hull a simple “pinch“ test. I keep a ”new fired” hull on my bench for reference. Pinching the new fired hull case mouth tells me how much resistance a case mouth should offer. I pinch the case mouth of all hulls I load into my press and if the resistance is weaker than the reference hull, the weaker hull is tossed. This really is a case of common cents.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts