Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any notice a difference in performance from your reloads in newer, reloaded only a few times, Gun Club Hulls, vs those loaded 4 or more times? Not frayed cracked or worn at the mouth, just evidence that they have been reloaded more.

Looking for practical experience on the range or on the pattern board. I really cannot tell.

I knew folks in the past that discarded hulls after 3 loads including the initial firing of the factory load. They shot all factory premium ammo, RXP & AA.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I reload gun clubs only once cause my mec 650 doesn't resize . if I try them any more ,50 % wont chamber. but I reload sts hulls 7-8 times, till either the crimp or the hull splits. I picked up some of those new rems on sunday out of the bucket at my club, they look real nice.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
I reload gun clubs only once cause my mec 650 doesn't resize . if I try them any more ,50 % wont chamber. but I reload sts hulls 7-8 times, till either the crimp or the hull splits. I picked up some of those new rems on sunday out of the bucket at my club, they look real nice.
I reload gun clubs once then discard. Resizing is rough after that on MEC 9000.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There's a crew of trapshooters at my club that mark the bottom of the gunclub brass with a sharpie for each reload and toss them after the 3rd mark. I then retrieve them out of the barrel, load them a half dozen more times and put them back in the barrel when they start to get crispy.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i see many people reload a hull once, and that's it. I cant see how you can save any money doing that. I saw one guy ,he bought new primed hulls ( clear ones) shot them once ,then ditched them?wierd

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a crew of trapshooters at my club that mark the bottom of the gunclub brass with a sharpie for each reload and toss them after the 3rd mark. I then retrieve them out of the barrel, load them a half dozen more times and put them back in the barrel when they start to get crispy.
Do you notice any drop in performance with the older hulls?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't seem to see any decrease in performance at all . Taken them through the chronograph at eight reloading and see no drop off in speed. MEC 9000g with no problems. Work perfectly in a 90t. Citori and an 878 Remington. Dale
Great thanks. Good information. I need to mark a few so I can see what 8 reloadings look like in a Gun Club.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't been paying much attention to my hulls, so the old and the new are all in one bin. I did take a little time today to sort the best/once fired hulls and load them first. Some older ones may have 3+ loadings, but not many more, and not that many of the hulls. I can now load those and toss after firing, or not, since others attest to no drop off in performance at twice that amount of reloads.

Marking a few to see what they look like after multiple loadings, is just curiosity

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm reloading on a grabber and I will reload gun clubs as well as STS and Nitro's until they start to crack pretty bad or until the end splits and i can't crimp it anymore. still shooting a lot of 25's with hulls that are on their 6 and 7th reload

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've heard they load great but don't last as long as STS
In my experience they last about the same as STS or Nitro's but they dont feed as well out of a pump or semi auto. something about the brass base or maybe its the smooth plastic on the STS and Nitro seem to feed better. out of an O/U they work just as well, just not as shiny

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my experience they last about the same as STS or Nitro's but they dont feed as well out of a pump or semi auto. something about the brass base or maybe its the smooth plastic on the STS and Nitro seem to feed better. out of an O/U they work just as well, just not as shiny
Agreed. But the sts and nitro crimp better, in the Dillon.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts