Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The honest answer is "yes and no". They load good but are still steel based, so no more than 2 cents each and that if is somebody wants them pretty bad. Anybody who has a USA High School Clay Target League team around them should never have to pay for hulls. Our Club dumpster probably has around 1500 hulls in it each week.

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
You could more than likely sell them here on TS.com for 2 cents a piece. Not such call for them over that. Too many shooters can get them for free. You have to remember the buyer is going to pay another penny+ a piece just for shipping.

Its just makes more sense to buy premium hulls, if your going to be paying for hulls and for shipping!!! break em all jeff

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
Curiosity drives me to ask - what is wrong with steel based hulls like Gun Clubs ? Granted brass based hulls like Winchester AA or Remington STS are more desirable - but why. I have heard more than once not to shoot steel based hulls in my Krieghoff. But not sure I can remember the specific reasoning behind the statement.

Brass will resize easier may be one reason. And Gun Club plastic may not be comparable to an STS hull; but, I have loaded a number of Gun Club hulls of late and find they make a good shell with several different powders. I.E. Red Dot, 700X, Promo (basically Red Dot I’m told), and others. Others have suggested steel based hulls are hard on firing pins. That doesn’t compute since the firing pin is only contacting the primer.

So, why are Gun Clubs (or other steel based hulls) given a bad name ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amboy49 asked what wrong with them? Well as far as I’m concerned nothing, in fact I’ll load them before all the Nitro27 or STS I have. I shoot them in any gun I have and have not had any problems. I even shot them in a Ljutic at one time, now I did tighten the collet on the 9000 a little. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Curiosity drives me to ask - what is wrong with steel based hulls like Gun Clubs ? Granted brass based hulls like Winchester AA or Remington STS are more desirable - but why. I have heard more than once not to shoot steel based hulls in my Krieghoff. But not sure I can remember the specific reasoning behind the statement.

Brass will resize easier may be one reason. And Gun Club plastic may not be comparable to an STS hull; but, I have loaded a number of Gun Club hulls of late and find they make a good shell with several different powders. I.E. Red Dot, 700X, Promo (basically Red Dot I’m told), and others. Others have suggested steel based hulls are hard on firing pins. That doesn’t compute since the firing pin is only contacting the primer.

In my experience, the chamber is a little too tight, so that, when the steel expands, the shell won't eject especially in hot weather. The bigger problem I had was with Federal Top Guns.

Lately, I've seen other shooters have problems with the base separating from the hull, either before or after shooting.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nothing wrong with them, but you may need to adjust your resizing. The "spring back" after resizing is not the same as brass, but once adjusted, works for both. In my 9000H machine I can hardly feel the extra effort to resize steel. I have noticed more Rio, Fiocchi, Challenger hulls around the club and fewer Gun Club since Gun Club were a little harder to find this past year.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Stubbornness if you ask me.

As to the plastic, I bet more loads out of GC hulls than any other Remington hull for sure. The plastic lasts easily twice as long as nitro or sts plastic.

They are longer-lived than federal hulls and probably only rivaled by AA hulls for durability...

Just my take on your question.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The early ones I had with the brass heads were steel with a brass wash, not actual brass. A magnet made for easy pickup.
For about a year Gun Clubs had total brass heads the same as STS and Nitros.

Then they went to what appeared to be a brass wash on a steel head. Then just steel as the consumer was slowly conditioned for acceptance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well you guy were right. Once the heat index got near 100 testing the waters was dried up. I ended up giving the gun clubs hulls away.
After talking to about 12 people, I found three guys that load STS and Nitro,
three that loved Gun clubs, One the loaded Gold Medal, and finally four that didn’t reload at all, plus one guy that would to get some red,blue and white one to make a flag collage.
Now this wasn’t done to Gallop poll standards. It was just me asking around.

Conclusion Not reloading and the artist represent 41.6% of demand on reloading market. So should be more stuff available the rest.

Results 12 guys
25% STS/Nitro hulls
25% Gun Club
33.3% did not reload
8.3% Gold Medal
8.3% artist

1 - 20 of 40 Posts