Trapshooters Forum banner

Gun Cleaning

5334 Views 37 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  dissercole
For years I have used Remington Shotgun Cleaner, Rem-Oil, Q-Maxx Blu, and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil to clean my guns. After reading a review on different products and seeing the results of FrogLube, I decided to give it a whirl. I bought the stuff several months ago and started to try it once and didn't like it so I quickly went back to my old faithful stuff. Today I cleaned two guns. First my SX2 and used the old stuff as the FrogLube sat on the shelf. Then pulled out the SBEII and forced myself to try the FrogLube....dang-it boys, I really-really liked it. That is now my new gun cleaning go to.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
13,537 Posts
Have you tried non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner for cleaning your guns??? It works great and you can buy it at any Auto Parts store. You can even buy the Auto store's brand name brake cleaner at a discounted price. Its just a cleaner though. ----------Do Not Get Any On The Wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---------You will have to go over the gun with Rem-oil or another metal protectant after you use this product. Good Luck with your new cleaner. break em all jeff

· Registered
2,258 Posts
Have you tried non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner for cleaning your guns??? It works great and you can buy it at any Auto Parts store. You can even buy the Auto store's brand name brake cleaner at a discounted price. Its just a cleaner though. ----------Do Not Get Any On The Wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---------You will have to go over the gun with Rem-oil or another metal protectant after you use this product. Good Luck with your new cleaner. break em all jeff
++1 for the NOT ON WOOD!!!

· Registered
3,907 Posts
I use Ed's Red for barrels. Wood is very allergic to it. Non chlorinated break cleaner for receiver, and Hornandy's One Shot Extreme on the metal.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Don't use the red can of Brakleen. It'll give you cancer.
Wish I'd known that forty years ago.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
Cleaning a receiver:

Clorinated or not, Brake Cleaners are too harsh, and coming from a pressurized can, can easily make their way through the firing pin opening and other areas.

The best solvent is Mineral Spirits or basic paint thinner. It has a safer flash point, and is easier to work with.

Buy a large parts brush, like this

Dip the brush in the mineral spirits, then holding the receiver such that fluids drain away from the breech face, scrub/brush the receiver. Do this until it's clean, then use a can of compressed air, with the receiver in the same position, gently blow the mineral spirits out of the receiver. Now oil it with a light oil, like the spray cans of rem oil. and with the compressed air, blow off any excess oil.
The small cans of compressed air are lighter in pressure, and focused if necessary.
Once or twice a year I remove the stock, and give the trigger end the same treatment, but with grease instead of oil. It's important you know all the grease points before doing the trigger end.

· Registered
13,537 Posts
The best solvent is Mineral Spirits or basic paint thinner.
True Brake Cleaner should only be used for a HD type cleaning. Kerosene IMO is better than Mineral Spirits. Which is the same as paint thinner. Kerosene leaves behind a more oily residue. Which is a great lubricate. Especially if your soaking your trigger group!!! Its what gunsmiths use to soak and clean your receiver when you pay for a professional to do the work. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Cant recall who but I remember reading some reputable builder on their website saying frog lube can damage some bluing. Never used Frog Lube so I've zero experience with it but because I read that line I never will.

· Registered
169 Posts
Blaster or spray Liquid Wrench, then spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Hit again with Blaster and wipe down.
Let air dry.

Both cans less than 10 bucks total from Walmart. This and shells and batteries are the only things I buy there.

· Registered
118 Posts
Those of you using carb or brake cleaner, how often are you cleaning? It seems excessive to me unless you are doing the occasional deep clean. My routine is similar to rcwild's. I'm using Gun Scrubber and CLP regularly w/ Hoppes occasionally for the deep clean.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.