Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Hoppe's #9 for at least 20 years to clean all of my guns. Seems to work fine. I notice that there are many new products on the market and am wondering if there is something better.

I shoot about 100 shotgun rounds per week during warmer months.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hoppe's #9 is pretty good for rifle and pistol bores, but Shooter's Choice Bore and Choke Cleaner seems to do a great job on shotgun bores. It's one of the few solvents that will remove plastic fouling, along with built up powder residue. Break Free in the aerosol can works good too, but not quite as well as Shooter's Choice. Kerosene or Mineral Spirits will do for trigger assemblies and other removable parts that don't have "hard" fouling. Nothing beats good old elbow grease, but these solvents makes it easier.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's a recipe for Ed's Red. Its cheap and works as well as any of the commercial products. Some people play around with the proportions. I prefer a little more Acetone and Mineral Spirits in my recipe.

25% Acetone

25% Mineral spirits

25% Automatic Transmission Oil

25% Kerosene

This takes out all powder and plastic fouling from a shotgun.
It will remove all grease from your firearm.
I usually use straight Acetone or Lacquer Thinner before I reapply any oil or grease.

There's always shooters choice. Good stuff too but damned expensive.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ed's Red is good struff and it is inexpensive to make.

Also, I have tried Clenzoil with good results on all firearms. It's cost more then Ed's Red, but it's not toxic, won't damage wood, and smells decent.

Gene Batchelar
Wheaton, IL

·
Registered
613 Posts
Correction to my reply to this post: I use Hoppes #9 mostly for pistol bores and sometimes rifle.

The Shooter's Choice I use on my Perazzi bore--it does a good job removing the plastic fouling.

Allen

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Some of the armorers I know use this mix as a powder solvent:<UL><LI>2 parts Hoppe's #9 Plus Black Powder solvent<LI>1 part Hoppe's #9 Nitro Solvent</UL>Combine, shake and allow to stand over night. It will form a gel that stays on brushes and patches better than either one and does a darn good job on powder residue.

If you're lazy, try Butch's Bore Shine.

MK

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like Clenzoil for the same reasons Gene Batchelar does. I use it mostly for lubrication and long-term storage. For cleaning, I prefer Ballistol. Ballistol is even less toxic than Clenzoil and it cleans at least as well. Like Clenzoil, Ballistol is harmless to wood finishes, In fact, Ballistol works well as a wood polish. Ballistol also does a good job on cleaning and preserving leather...along with a whole lot of other applications. (See the Ballistol website. Unbelievable!)

Ballistol works well as a black powder/corrosive priming cleaner, too, mixed with various proportions of water. As a frugal (e-wives; CHEAP)type I like to spray a 10-to-one mixture of water to Ballistol mixture down my barrels, followed by brushing, as a first stage of bore cleaning. It is amazing the amount of "crud" that comes out. I then follow up with Ballistol, full strength. (Interestingly, a 10-to-one will still protect agains rust.)

John Schedel
Buffalo, NY

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I 2nd the Hoppes smell statement. No wonder i don't have any brain cells. LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've always used Hoppes #9, then coat everything with a light coat of Hoppe's gun oil. I just won't smell right if I didn't. (love that smell).

John MI

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
"Ballistol" is also marketed in Europe as an internal medicine for people and hot water will clean black powder residue from guns. Why does that make either of them good gun cleaners?

MK

·
Registered
316 Posts
I started with Hoppes and changed to Shooters Choice and now use Montana X-treme and feel its better than all the above. JMO-FWIW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.