Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever use G96 complete gun Treatment?? The can says it cleans, lubricates and protects!

Never heard of it before and won a can of it at a raffle. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with it and if it is any good?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have used it for many years and love it. I first saw it used at the Cody, Wyoming firearms museum. I felt it was worth a try and found it to be an excellent product and I use it on all my guns. I spray my gun cloth's with it as they dry up and keep them in a Ziploc bag in the Americase along with STOS for the shotguns. I also spray it on my TICO TOOL to protect the bores of my trap guns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used G96 Complete Gun Treatment to wipe down the exterior of my guns for over 40 years now. I spray some on a rag and wipe down all the metal and don't worry if it gets on the wood-it has never caused a problem with any stock finishes. Never have had any rust issues. And it smells great too!

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! How does it do removing plastic wad fouling in chokes? I'm going to give it a try but thought I would ask in advance.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck...plain old mineral spirits/Stoddard Solvent does the same thing for next to nothing. You won't find any magic potions among gun care products...not even the ones that smell like urinal mints or lilies of the valley. Manufacturers have a knack for making you believe that your life will change once you start using their products, and for some reason people keep falling for it.

What I suggest you avoid is using a cleaner that continues to release volatile solvents after it's been used. You may hear guys complaining that the butt pads on their guns get soft and sticky over time. That's most probably because of the vapors from their gun cleaners attacking the pad while the gun is closed up in its hard case or safe. For rust protection one of the best products going is called Fluid Film. It's sold by John Deere and other online outlets. It's lanolin-based and contains no volatile solvents...was developed for the Navy during WW II to protect deck equipment from corrosion/rust in extreme salt environments. Plain Rem Oil is also good wiped on the barrel if you don't leave fingerprints in it afterward.
Unknown1, Thanks for the reply and I agree with what you are saying, just that I "won" a can and wanted to know if it was any good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used a combo of 2/3 Shooter's Choice and 1/3 Kroil and it cleans barrels real good. Let it set just for awhile and the plastic from wad starts peeling loose, then used brush. Not my formula, but was from one of the reloading suppliers back east years ago.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the replies! How does it do removing plastic wad fouling in chokes? I'm going to give it a try but thought I would ask in advance.
I've been using G96 Complete Gun Treatment on my wife's and my own semi-auto shotguns, AR-15 and pistols, and is a pretty satisfied with it. The thing I like best about this product is that it doesn't smell awful like some others (eg. Ballistol) so cleaning my shotguns in the comfortable of my home office is perfectly fine.

BTW G96 also makes a G96 Synthetic CLP Gun Oil, which is Mil Spec MIL-PRF-63460E certified and approved for US military. It is not a common certification to achieve and shows how good their products are.

The Complete Gun Treatment isn't certified but I like it better due to the spray can format, which I prefer.

If you're having trouble with plastic/carbon fouling in chokes, try applying a layer of grease inside the choke but don't wipe off the excess. I use Froglube paste with great success for this, I simply wipe the paste on and leave it inside the choke. It will not burn or cause any problems, and will make the choke very easy to clean later on. In most cases when I've shot 300 to 350 rounds, if I run my tornado brush down the barrel 2 to 3 times with the choke attached, all the plastic/carbon fouling on the choke will be removed too.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was at an auction last week, I bid on one lot of gun cleaning product and ended up with some "Pro-Shot Products, 1 Step Gun Cleaner and Lubricant". I opened one of the bottles and it smells somewhat citrus like. Years ago I dropped the triggers out of my MX8 and they looked dirty so I cleaned them with Foaming Tri Flow Citrus Cleaner. They came out really clean and when I went out to use the triggers both of the leaf springs failed right after cleaning. Lesson learned, so I'm a little leary of this cleaner and looking to hear if any one else has experience with it. For all I know it's a bore cleaner for piston/rifle.

PD

·
Registered
269 Posts
Heck...plain old mineral spirits/Stoddard Solvent does the same thing for next to nothing. You won't find any magic potions among gun care products...not even the ones that smell like urinal mints or lilies of the valley. Manufacturers have a knack for making you believe that your life will change once you start using their products, and for some reason people keep falling for it.
If I use anything it's Hoppe's #9. Have some shooting buddies that were babbling about frog slime or something named similar to that. Even looked up the MSDS to see what the magic potion was and all I could find was it's a non-hazardous, food grade product. What was it P.T. Barnum said?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts