Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Keystone Shooter
2,048 Posts
This gun blew up three weeks ago at our club. Shooter had just finished a round and was starting his second round. He fired one shot broke the bird, on his second shot gun blew up in his hand. Shooters on either side of him reported no unusual sound from the first round which he fired, which broke the bird.

None that he was aware of.

Shooting reloads. According to the shooters on either side of him, both veteran shooters, no unusal sound from the first shot that would indicate a low powered round plus he broke the bird solid.

The owner stated that he bought the gun in 1967. Never shot it too much. Has a Berretta O/U that he shoots on a regular basis. He just brought it out to play with that day. Heard that Remington had problems with 1100 barrels pre 1995 blowing up? I know the 1100 has been around for a long time and has a solid reputation as a good trap gun, BUT???

·
Keystone Shooter
2,048 Posts
Reloads. The owner had a small cut on his left hand, and minor fracture of his middle fingertip of his left hand when the forend blew up. He was wearing shooting gloves. Shooters on both sides were hit in pants legs with pieces of wood, but no injuries

According to the owner his reloader won’t allow him to over charge his shells, won’t crimp, using the wads he uses. I never asked him what type of wads and what type of powder he was using, but believe he uses Red Dot

Wadhopper
It won’t buff out. I tried. But you’ll be happy he may be purchasing a new Tristar!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't believe Rem 1100s from 1967 had step ribbed barrels. Makes me wonder what may have been done to the receiver and/or barrel over the years. Have read that some 870s with high mileage have developed receiver cracks.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,048 Posts
Gearguywb, that’s what it looked like to me. Maybe it didn’t lock up.

Even a double charge wouldn’t have done that!! But he said his reloader won’t allow a double charge using the wads he uses. The shell won’t crimp.

·
5,113 Posts
Fortunately, the no one was seriously injured... however we'll probably never know what actually caused the failure...

It's damn difficult to blow up a gun on purpose...

·
Keystone Shooter
2,048 Posts
8A7D2067-DA18-461B-9F64-10F500540D90.jpeg
8A7D2067-DA18-461B-9F64-10F500540D90.jpeg

Another guy was shooting a 1100 that day so he put his along side of the blown up gun to show the difference

Needless to say the other guy who was shooting a 1100 that day asked if anyone wanted to buy it!!! No takers !!

The owner of the gun called Remington. They want it. I told him I would get a good lawyer, and a metallurgist with some credentials and let him look at it first. He’s very lucky to be alive or with only minor injuries. So are the guys on either side of him.

1 - 20 of 356 Posts