Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Gulf Coast Clays in Naples Florida. I took my wife to have a private lesson with Corey Rugg. We couldn't be happier. He was great, she had a great time, and wants to go back. Good, patient, teacher, nice rental guns for women. Very nice Club.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It used to be called Remuda Ranch Resort and was part of Gulf American Land Corporation, the same outfit that owned River Ranch Resort, east of Lake Wales, FL at that time. They also developed Cape Coral, FL. They were wreckless with the environment and may well be the entity which single-handedly gave Florida real estate developers an image so bad they still feel the heat from it today. This is no reflection on current ownership.
I shot there back in the 70's when it was still Remuda Ranch. It was nice. The club manager had a wife who was a nympho-maniac. Well, I certainly don't personally, actually know that for a fact. Another guy told me that.......Honest!

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Glad you had a super time. I was there about a year ago to shoot some Sporting Clays. I too shot there when it was called Remuda Ranch, and had not been back there for over 40 years. I did break my first 50 strait on the only day I was ever there though. Nice club, but it was a tad to far for me. I'm glad I did a tag team drive to the club, as there are no local hotels for the night that I want to stay at. Look for a trap shooter named Jeff that shoot's Trap there. No not me!!! He does shoot a BT-100 though. It was after shooting his gun that I made the decision to buy one for myself though. Anyway Jeff is looking to get enough trap shooters together to start some ATA there. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you had a super time. I was there about a year ago to shoot some Sporting Clays. I too shot there when it was called Remuda Ranch, and had not been back there for over 40 years. I did break my first 50 strait on the only day I was ever there though. Nice club, but it was a tad to far for me. I'm glad I did a tag team drive to the club, as there are no local hotels for the night that I want to stay at. Look for a trap shooter named Jeff that shoot's Trap there. No not me!!! He does shoot a BT-100 though. It was after shooting his gun that I made the decision to buy one for myself though. Anyway Jeff is looking to get enough trap shooters together to start some ATA there. Good Luck and break em all Jeff
I know what you mean about a drive. I formally drove from Big Pine Key to shoot at Trail Glades in Miami. 2 1/2 hours each way. It was hard, but I love to shoot. Now I have a condo in Naples and get here often. The place is nice.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Yeh, My drive to Gulf Coast was more like 3 hours each way. I was on the road all day. I was like half tuckered out before I started shooting LOL. I drove to Miami and a shooting buddy meet up with me @ Trail Glades and then he drove out west to Gulf Coast Clays. I'm glad I had the chance to get back out there, but I don't think I'll be back anymore. Just to far for me. Tell Jeff I said "Hello" when/if you bump into him. He used to shoot at Markham Park all the time. I rarely see him anymore. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
interesting place to shoot. A little expensive but the people are really nice. We have a condo there and will be shooting every week during the winter months. My friends hoot skeet and sporting clays and I like to shoot trap. Hard to find trap guys there as most shoot the other games. I did buy a little too-too to shoot skeet along with them but if you guys are trap shooters and like 27 yard line games let me know. Only saw a few trap guys and they only shot 16's. motordoc.

contact me if you shoot there and we can get together

·
Registered
395 Posts
Look for a trap shooter named Jeff that shoot's Trap there. No not me!!! He does shoot a BT-100 though. It was after shooting his gun that I made the decision to buy one for myself though. Anyway Jeff is looking to get enough trap shooters together to start some ATA there. Good Luck and break em all Jeff
Hi Jeff . . . . this is "the other Jeff".

Glad you remember me, but alas, I do not live near Gulf Coast Clays anymore. Last November, I moved up near Venice, FL near Sarasota Gun Club. So Sarasota is my home club now . . . only a short drive for me.

By the way, I still shoot the BT-100.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I did buy a little too-too to shoot skeet along with them
Yes, it seems that's the way it is....... I know because I've shot both skeet and trap over the years.
The skeet shooters shoot in little pink tu-tu's.
The trap shooters shoot in leather biker pants with a pair of folded thick boot socks stitched inside the crotch area.
(HAW-HAW! What a fun-loving forum this is.)
Dangerous Dan McGrew

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I know what you mean about a drive. I formally drove from Big Pine Key to shoot at Trail Glades in Miami. 2 1/2 hours each way. It was hard, but I love to shoot. Now I have a condo in Naples and get here often. The place is nice.
That has always been the problem for Remuda Ranch/Gulf Coast Clays: It is a long way from anywhere. I'm talking about L-O-N-G. End of the world long.

Only in the dead of winter is it truly popular and a worthwhile drive. But, lovely just the same.

Now, Jacksonville, FL......... not so bad. More suited to me (but, that's just me - your mileage may vary.)

Tu-Tu Thompson
(aka: Skeet Thrasher)

·
Banned
890 Posts
..... an image so bad they still feel the heat from it today. This is no reflection on current ownership......
How are they still feeling the heat today
Yes, it seems that's the way it is....... I know because I've shot both skeet and trap over the years.
The skeet shooters shoot in little pink tu-tu's.
The trap shooters shoot in leather biker pants with a pair of folded thick boot socks stitched inside the crotch area.
(HAW-HAW! What a fun-loving forum this is.)
Dangerous Dan McGrew
Motordoc couldn't pass the entrance exam to shoot skeet. He doesn't know how to spell tutu.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Glad you remember me, but alas, I do not live near Gulf Coast Clays anymore. Last November, I moved up near Venice, FL near Sarasota Gun Club. So Sarasota is my home club now . . . only a short drive for me.

Hope they get the problems cleared up so they can toss registered targets again at Sarasota.

Any new news from Sarasota?

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
ok so i spelled tu tu wrong. entrance exam for skeet. maybe it starts with $$$$. This IS a tough crowd on this site BUT alas a great group of people

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Hi Jeff . . . . this is "the other Jeff".
Now wait a minute!!! I thought I was the other Jeff. You were @ Markham Park first Right!!! LOL

Nice to hear from Ya. At least your a bit closer to the Silver Dollar these day's. I wondered why I not seen or heard anything about you in a while. Good Luck and take care. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That has always been the problem for Remuda Ranch/Gulf Coast Clays: It is a long way from anywhere. I'm talking about L-O-N-G. End of the world long.

Only in the dead of winter is it truly popular and a worthwhile drive. But, lovely just the same.

Now, Jacksonville, FL......... not so bad. More suited to me (but, that's just me - your mileage may vary.)

Tu-Tu Thompson
(aka: Skeet Thrasher)
I am in Naples, so its not much of a ride. Used to drive from Key West to trail Glades in West Miami, 2 1/2 hours each way, so this is cake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts