Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if those of you that have bought a standard CG trapgun had also considered a CG Impact Trap before making the purchase. Seems like most everyone on TS that bought a CG has purchased the standard trapgun with the 25mm rib as opposed to the Impact with its 17mm rib. Just wanted to know what the consensus of thought is on the Impact. I am attracted to the adjustability aspects of the CG but, never having owned a high rib gun before, I am thinking that the somewhat lower rib on the Impact would allow me an easier transition. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have both (and more). I shoot the trap unsingle for singles and the Impact for doubles and SC. Cranking the rib up lets me use the Impact for skeet also.
With the rib cranked down, I can shoot singles with the Impact.
The question is, do you want two guns or do you want to change the rib as you go between games?
The trap gun does not work well for 5-stand of SCs (I had a trap O/U barrel and sold it because I couldn't get the POI low enough for SCs or 5-stand)
I shoot an Impact 20g for skeet in all gauges (28g and .410 tubes).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would go with the trap model, but I am on the taller side with a long neck.

I respectively disagree with Redcobra about needing a gun for trap and a different for sporting. I primarily shoot Sporting Clays and my gun shoots 80-100% high. Most people who think there gun shoots 50/50 have never put it on paper most will be at least 60/40. I also shoot a high rib for both. If you do need to shoot a flatter gun in sporting you should be able to still accomplish this with the trap model by adjusting the rib & comb?

The rib height is more of a personal/fit thing. I shot an impact for a while and did well with it, rib was just a little low for me.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I agree with Bryce about a high shooting sporting clays gun. It may not be for everyone- especially for shooters that shoot an unmounted gun. If you shoot a premounted gun - and more shooters are going to that - including two out of the last three National champions - it's important to keep the target visible above your barrel throughout it's flight path. It's also easier to hit rising targets,
and for dropping targets, you have to hold below them anyway, so you just hold
a little bit lower.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Bryce,
You misunderstood me, or I said it wrong. The Impact will adjust down to 50/50 whereas the trap model won't. The trap will only go down to 60/40.
With the Impact you can shoot all games. I couldn't shoot SCs or Skeet with the Trap gun. I have patterned all my guns on paper. For me personally, I need a 50/50 POI for all games but trap. I can adjust the rib on the Impact to shoot Trap, but I prefer an unsingle for that.

ps: the stock dimensions are different between the Impact and Trap model as well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Redcobra, I can see what your saying and agree some people in sporting do shoot a 50/50 gun, but most people who think there guns shoot 50/50 actually shoot at least 60/40.

I shoot primarily sporting and shoot a gun that shoots 100% high on paper. To most that would sound super high, not so much to me. For and examaple, If I have a true right to left crosser going from 9 to 3 o'clock at 35 yards, I mount on the base of it and pull away I don't consciously mount below it, nor am I way below the target line. In my eyes the barrel is a hair below the target, just enough that my barrel/rib does not block the barrel.

My reply to Grevin and what I was trying to get across was go with what fits. If he is tall has a long neck the Trap model might fit better. I shoot an old Perazzi MX8 mocked up like a MX2005. Now an MX2005 that shoots a pattern high is not what most people would think of as a sporting clays gun, but it is what fits me best. Shoot what fits, not a "trap" or "sporting clays gun".

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
Like Bryce, I shoot a high POI sporting gun. My POI is 11" at 42 yards. My subgauge gun is a 20 gauge Maxum Impact with 28 ga and .410 Briley inserts.

On most of my trap doubles guns, I can remove 2 shims and shoot sporting.

No one else can shoot my guns. It's how you approach and perceive the target. Of the 8-9 guys I regularly shoot with, only one other guy has a high ribbed gun, and his rib is set for 60/40 - 70/30. But his goal was to get his head erect and see the target better. He's shooting much better too.

We both shoot gun down at the call.

It's an individual thing that you have to experiment with.

If you are a "barrel shooter", you will struggle with a high ribbed gun.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I agree with Setterman,
"But his goal was to get his head erect and see the target better. He's shooting much better too."
The "trap model" can go down to a 60/40 and might fit better then the Impact model. Of course this all depends on his build. For me the trap model lets me shoot with my head erect, more so then the impact. So what I am trying to say is don't think that a "trap" model is just for trap if it fits well and you can get the POI where you want it, it could become a sporting/flyers/trap/bunker/skeet gun.

Bryce

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your looking to shoot trap, go get yourself a Summit and train it for around 5,000 rounds. This gun took me from a career B shooter to a competitive A/AA shooter. I shot a 90-T before buying my summit. It took me about 500 rounds to get used to the higher rib. It was well worth the investment. Great value for the money. Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts