Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I have been reloading Federal Top Gun hulls (silver base) with a one ounce load for quite some time in my Beretta 391. Over the past year the gold based Top Gun hulls have become plentiful at my Club so I decided to try them. My opinion is that they stack a little better and give me a nicer looking crimp. I've not measured the volume of silver vs, gold but they come out of my MEC 9000 looking really good.

My recipe is:
Federal Top Gun hull (gold base)
One ounce of 7 1/2 shot
20 grains of Clay Dot
Claybuster 6100 wad
Federal 209A primer
A published recipe that stacks well and is kinda zippy at 1290 FPS and low pressure at 7970 PSI. I like the load.

Being a recreational shooter at Sporting Clays only, I decided to use the silver base hulls for 7/8 ounce loads for the close so called easy shots.
My 7/8 recipe is almost the same as above but 19 grains of Clay Dot and 8 shot. Again zippy at 1290 FPS and 7310 PSI. I like the load, it shoots well but it's ugly with a dished in crimp so I'm in search of a new wad.

All I have been able to find is Gualandi wads for 7/8 ounce straight walled hulls, where are you Claybuster? Gualandi offers five different wads: 072SPK - 020HCD24 - 072EML - 072REX - 020L078. Do any of you have any experience as to which of these wads will work for me? I really don't want to go through the process of adding beans or rice to each shell. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have used those wads with eurohulls (which the TopGuns have become - check but the rolled paper base is becoming a thing of the past) and 7.5 shot and it seems to me they hit targets really hard and stack height is good. My issue with the euro wads is they are stiff and hard plastic and don't load nearly as easy as factory/CB/DR wads. My powder charge was a MEC #30 bushing. Don't use Clays so I don't know what your powder volume is.

K

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I have always like the PT wads from BPI, but Grafs (I'm sure other sources too) carry the Fiocchi H24 and H27 wads that work great for the respective hulls you mention. The new plastic basewad Federal hulls seem to have more room than the old paper base hulls do and need a taller wad for the same shot charge. They are identical to most of the euro hulls in volume. I've used the PT 1205 for both 7/8 and 1 oz loads in those euro hulls for years, and the 1215 in the paper base Federal and 1 oz. I've got a case of EMLs, but dang, they are pricey, compare to the others.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with “thebigski” I use the EML wad with a dense powder like 700X and the Spitfire with a powder like Red Dot. Both wads have a single circle in the cushion section that will colapse with some wad pressure.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I’ve been working my way though a bag of Ballistic Products 12-ga Competition Special wads, which I believe are Gualandi wads. Maybe I’m too picky, but I have been disappointed in the amount of molding flash on the wads & the fact that many of the slits in the shot cup are partially molded together (calling into play my X-Acto knife). PITA, actually. Not the quality I expected & don’t stack up with other wads, such as Remington, Federal & Winchester OEM wads, Claybuster or Down Range. BP is currently out-of-stock in the 12-ga Competition Specials, but I won’t be buying any more anyway. Of course, YMMD.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Tom,

Just buried my Mom in Pittsburgh yesterday out of Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on Polish Hill.

She was 96, so had a good run, but very sad none the less.

Back in NJ now - gotta get back to Pittsburgh more and not for funerals!

jk

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Good that she lived a long life, but we all only have one Mom & they’re tough to lose at any age. Mine went at 87.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I’ve been working my way though a bag of Ballistic Products 12-ga Competition Special wads, which I believe are Gualandi wads. Maybe I’m too picky, but I have been disappointed in the amount of molding flash on the wads & the fact that many of the slits in the shot cup are partially molded together (calling into play my X-Acto knife). PITA, actually. Not the quality I expected & don’t stack up with other wads, such as Remington, Federal & Winchester OEM wads, Claybuster or Down Range. BP is currently out-of-stock in the 12-ga Competition Specials, but I won’t be buying any more anyway. Of course, YMMD.
There is no need to cut those slits apart. They will separate as soon as it exits the barrel. I had read some wads are stitched, some are unstitched. Many euro shell manufacturers use stitched wads making their shells, they don't hang up in equipment as much as those that unstitched. They don't use Mecs.

I have never had your issues with any of the Gualandi wads, they work wonderful for me. I like how they are so much stiffer than any US wad. Allows for a much tighter crimp without dishing

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I have used stitched wads before & you can see the regular/symmetrical spots where the petals are connected - pretty obvious. But this batch of Competition Specials was different. The spaces between some of the petals had those little connections where they were supposed to be, but some were completely molded together. Trust me, they were inconsistent & needed additional attention. Maybe I just got a bad batch? The ones I have certainly don’t measure up to other brands. If I get a chance over the weekend, I’ll post some images.

Reactions: dirt stirrer

·
Supporting Vendor
6,294 Posts
Gualandi makes three Super-G wads you will be interested in. They are the BRG 22, BRG 25 and BRG 27. They all look the same but have different heights from the bottom of the shot cup to the base of the wad. The BRG 22 is 22 mm from the base to the shot cup and works well for a 1 ounce load in a Federal Top Gun. The BRG 25 is 25 mm and works for a 7/8 ounce load. The BRG 27 is 27 mm and works for a 3/4 ounce load. Graffs used to sell them as GU1222, GU1225, AND GU1227.

Graff lists a BPI Spitfire wad which I believe is the BRG 22 and a Competition SPL which looks to be the BRG 22.

Gualandi wads are great because they seal better than any other wad. I once had Neil Winston run a comparison test between a Gualandi wad and a Federal 12SO in the Top Gun hull. The Gualandi wad produced 20 fps more velocity with everything the same.

Reactions: 10tenner

·
Registered
541 Posts
Gualandi makes three Super-G wads you will be interested in. They are the BRG 22, BRG 25 and BRG 27. They all look the same but have different heights from the bottom of the shot cup to the base of the wad. The BRG 22 is 22 mm from the base to the shot cup and works well for a 1 ounce load in a Federal Top Gun. The BRG 25 is 25 mm and works for a 7/8 ounce load. The BRG 27 is 27 mm and works for a 3/4 ounce load. Graffs used to sell them as GU1222, GU1225, AND GU1227.
I know this is an older thread but it came up in search for Gualandi wads for Trap loads. The 22, 25, 27mm dimensions, are they from the bottom of the shot cup to the very bottom of the wad (bottom of the powder cup) or to the top of the powder cup? I want to compare to CB6100 and CB6118 which I have on hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ballistic Reloading carrys these Italian wads and gives all the measurements for them. Easy to compare one against the other.
yes. I was just looking at all the numbers. I am trying to figure out which SG wads equate to CB6100 and CB6118 and the SG wads seem to have much lower hieght for the bottom of the shot cup (by 4 to 6mm)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
yes. I was just looking at all the numbers. I am trying to figure out which SG wads equate to CB6100 and CB6118 and the SG wads seem to have much lower hieght for the bottom of the shot cup (by 4 to 6mm)
The bottoms of some of the Guilandi wads have no flare, but a "hard to describe" multi-pin base that sits on top of the powder. The 25 makes grat 1 oz loads and in some hulls, 7/8. The 27s are primarily 7/8 ox wads. Measurement is the crush section.

·
Registered
541 Posts
well either way, and whatever the 22mm corresponds to, I can't see a decent tie back to CB6100 or CB6118. So I have no way to tell without buying and trying how they would work for 1oz or maybe the 25mm for 1 1/8oz loads.
CB6118CB6100SG22SG25
Overall length (in)
1.83​
1.775​
1.65​
1.65​
cup depth (in)
0.8​
0.68​
0.86​
0.69​
wad bottom to shot cup bottom (in)
1.03​
1.095​
0.79​
0.96​
wad bottom to shot cup bottom (mm)
26.162​
27.813​
20.066​
24.384​

·
Supporting Vendor
6,294 Posts
I know this is an older thread but it came up in search for Gualandi wads for Trap loads. The 22, 25, 27mm dimensions, are they from the bottom of the shot cup to the very bottom of the wad (bottom of the powder cup) or to the top of the powder cup? I want to compare to CB6100 and CB6118 which I have on hand.
I believe the dimension id from the bottom of the shot cup to the bottom of the wad. You should be able to confirm that on their website. www.gualandi.it

·
Registered
541 Posts
I believe the dimension id from the bottom of the shot cup to the bottom of the wad. You should be able to confirm that on their website. www.gualandi.it
I did not see any dimension data on the Gualandi site but Precision has data so i was able to compile the cahrt I posted above. But it really didn't help. I was sort of expecting to see shot-cup bottom heights to have some sort of equivelency between the Gua wads and the CB 61xx wads but I really don't see that.

The point is I was like to try the Gualandi Super G wads for both 1oz and 1.125oz loads with fine grain powders like WST and RS Comp in ched/fio/fed hulls. The dimensional comparison doesn't help me see which wad to use for 1oz or 1.125oz. The shot cups sit a lot lower than the CB61xx wads so its hard to tell what would work. I have BPI Advantages and they have some data for their CS12 which I think is the same as the SG22 and mostly for 1.125 loads. I have asked Precision if they have any load data for SG22 and SG25. Hopefully I will hear back after this weekend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts