Trapshooters Forum banner

grouse hunting Michigan

2164 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Coryj
Has anybody hunted out of Bear’s Nine Pines Resort .
Thanks
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,118 Posts
Never used a guide. Decades ago my buddy and I used to go to the western UP on the second weekend in Oct. There is so much good cover that we learned that if we weren't in birds in 15-20 minutes it was time to move. We got a fair number of Grouse and lots of Woodcock, only once did we hit the flight birds.

Cover wasn't even waist high, 4 of us with 2 dogs, limited out in less than 30 minutes, we couldn't get out of there without the dogs going on point. I'd heard about hitting the flight but never experienced it, what an experience.

Our initial contact was a DNR Biologist at Crystal Falls, he sent us a map with areas circled in red that he said was typical habitat. When we got there and saw that type of cover we knew what to look for.

Pat

· Registered
2,060 Posts
No need for a guide in Mi. The bird population is in good numbers, by what I seen spring hunting for turkey. Northeast lower , plenty of state and federal land to hunt . Don't hunt them anymore , seen several while deer hunting too. Hunted the area all my life and never had a problem finding grouse, the woodcock hunting is also very good the last few years. I have several friends that still hunt birds in the area.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Lots of great hunting in that part of the world. Nine pines is right across the lake from my in laws former retirement home. Spent many good days hunting the whitetail migration near there. Also very nice snowshoe hare and grouse hunting. God's country for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.