Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a cheddite primer with green dot?

I'd like to load 19 grains green dot with a cb1118-12 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot in a STS hull and cannot find data that uses a cheddite primer.

I want to use a cheddite primer because that's all I currently have in my inventory.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've loaded many with that exact recipe. It's a pretty fast load. I cut back to 18.3 for handicap but honestly, 17.2 is my singles load (again, same componets you listed above) and it'll suffice as handicap as well.
Thanks Wad, do you have any idea on just how fast those loads you listed are? It seems like alliant data is usually 50 fps faster than stated. The load I listed above is from alliant but with a w209 primer and they say it's 1145 fps, which means it's probably 1200 fps in reality.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,768 Posts
Thanks Wad, do you have any idea on just how fast those loads you listed are? It seems like alliant data is usually 50 fps faster than stated. The load I listed above is from alliant but with a w209 primer and they say it's 1145 fps, which means it's probably 1200 fps in reality.
We all know chronographing shot-shells is a crap shoot but it gives us an idea....all 1-1/8 loads.
I've had 20gr pushing 1300fps+ and just too uncomfortable for all day shooting.
19gr around 1220fps
18.3 around 1190fps.
17.2gr is around 1150fps.
5 shot strings, 4' from chrony, using a ladder for a rest and consistent muzzle placement. CG Summit 34" unsingle LF. About the best I can do with my setup. Your mileage may vary.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We all know chronographing shot-shells is a crap shoot but it gives us an idea....all 1-1/8 loads.
I've had 20gr pushing 1300fps+ and just too uncomfortable for all day shooting.
19gr around 1220fps
18.3 around 1190fps.
17.2gr is around 1150fps.
5 shot strings, 4' from chrony, using a ladder for a rest and consistent muzzle placement. CG Summit 34" unsingle LF. About the best I can do with my setup. Your mileage may vary.
Thank you so much! I always appreciate folks that can provide real world data!

· Registered
173 Posts
I use 21.5 grains green dot, Federal case, 12S3 wad, cheddite primer. Use for handicap and games. I've loaded thousands with Cheddites with no problem. Always check your charge weights , use known data unless your sure or had data tested. Shoot straight

· Registered
1,795 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I’ve been using a chrono and curious why it’s a crap shoot
I will, well for one when we cornograph we can only get the first pellet that crosses it . Now when the factory does it it get the mass, so if you want to match a factory shell cornograph it and build your hand load to it and they will be the same speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.