I am loading the following recipe from the Alliant website:

Hull--------Rem STS
Shot-------1 1/8 oz.
Wad------- Claybuster Figure 8
Powder---Green Dot 21.5 gr.
Primer-----Rem 209
1250 fps
10,700psi

I absolutely love the load but get agita every time I have to buy Rem 209's. I Ioad Win 209's for literally everything else. I also have a ton of Figure 8 wads and really like Green Dot.. Does anyone have a published load that accomplishes 1250fps with these components and a Win primer? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why would you be loading too 1250 fps ? There is no need in Trap you are just punishing yourself with not needed fps

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I suspect that the pressure is too high with the Win 209 primer at 1250 f/s.

You can send in some loads to be tested: 20 gr, 20.5 gr, 21 gr to see what you get velocity and pressure wise.

Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a close recipe with the same components I recently had tested:

I'm getting 1237 FPS with 20 grains of Green Dot. My guess is that 20.3 - 20.5 grains would put you close to or a little over 1250. Pressure is low enough not to be worry at this load range.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a close recipe with the same components I recently had tested:

View attachment 1719769

I'm getting 1237 FPS with 20 grains of Green Dot. My guess is that 20.3 - 20.5 grains would put you close to or a little over 1250. Pressure is low enough not to be worry at this load range.
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Who did the testing?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I shoot it all the time, but with the DownRange version and Remington shot. It's a great load for long HCP. I call 'em Rhino Roller's

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Green Dot loads from an older Alliant Reloading manual. STS hull, W209 primer, Rem Fig-8 wad and 9/8 oz. shot:

19 gr =1140 fps @ 8100 psi
20 gr = 1200 fps @ 8600 psi
21.5 gr = 1250 fps @ 10700 psi

Data for the same components from Lyman's 5th Edition: 19 gr = 1145 fps @ 9500 psi

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Green Dot loads from an older Alliant Reloading manual. STS hull, W209 primer, Rem Fig-8 wad and 9/8 oz. shot:

19 gr =1140 fps @ 8100 psi
20 gr = 1200 fps @ 8600 psi
21.5 gr = 1250 fps @ 10700 psi

Data for the same components from Lyman's 5th Edition: 19 gr = 1145 fps @ 9500 psi
This info along with the tested recipe above is why I no longer trust any printed data either from a manual or manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
This info along with the tested recipe above is why I no longer trust any printed data either from a manual or manufacturer.
This is the exact reason, that I send every load that I decide to use to the lab to be tested before shooting any of them.
Everyone of them has been confirmed,
MG

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
This is the exact reason, that I send every load that I decide to use to the lab to be tested before shooting any of them.
MG
Just out of curiosity, how often do the test results come back overpressure or otherwise significantly different than what you were expecting (assuming you had a rough idea what the load ought to do based on the published data)?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
That is why I made it my personal practice to use loads in the 8000 to 9000 psi range. My reasoning was canister grade powders are allowed to vary within a 25 fps and 2500 psi range. So even if I got a hot batch I'd still be within SAAMI. BTW, I always bough power with the same lot number just for that reason. BTW2, I believe Lyman data more than Alliant, because Alliant admits to rounding.

Velocities are easy to measure. Pressure not so much. Neil discovered that when he compared the data from his setup with that of Federal using the same ammo. Neil decided to adjust his setup to match the data from Federal. Who is to say which data was more accurate. You can say the same about sending every load out for testing. I'm fine with that practice, but wonder what it actually tells you other than the load is safe (which is a good thing). Since all pressure barrels are different and give different pressure readings, and canister grade powders are allowed to vary so much, that's about all the faith I'd put in the results.

·
Registered
899 Posts
MG
Just wondering for my own info. When you send off a load to be tested do you confirm the lot number of powder and buy heavy on it so you can load with the same lot number for the long run of shells? Or do you purchase a 8# and confirm the load and then run out of that lot number of powder? Does lot numbers of powder change ballistics from lot to lot? Just interested in your findings.

PD

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
Neil decided to adjust his setup to match the data from Federal. Who is to say which data was more accurate. You can say the same about sending every load out for testing. I'm fine with that practice, but wonder what it actually tells you other than the load is safe (which is a good thing). Since all pressure barrels are different and give different pressure readings, and canister grade powders are allowed to vary so much, that's about all the faith I'd put in the results.
If you are a SAAMI member, you can get SAAMI reference loads which is what you use to set up your pressure gun.

It's discussed at length in the ANSI/SAAMI Z299.2 standard.

I looked into it but was told you had to be a SAAMI member organization. Since I am using Neil's equipment, and I have shared my initial results with the guys at Oehler and at Hodgdon, I am satisfied this equipment is giving me reasonable and reliable results.

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
When you send off a load to be tested do you confirm the lot number of powder and buy heavy on it so you can load with the same lot number for the long run of shells? Or do you purchase a 8# and confirm the load and then run out of that lot number of powder?
When I used to send my loads off to be tested, I would indeed note the lot number of the powder and primers.

But I usually buy an 8 pound keg and load it. The next 8 pound keg should be reasonably similar to the last one. But not always...

Unless you are at the far end of the maximum loads in the data tables, you probably don't need to worry about variation lot to lot.

Does lot numbers of powder change ballistics from lot to lot?
Yes.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
If you are a SAAMI member, you can get SAAMI reference loads which is what you use to set up your pressure gun.

It's discussed at length in the ANSI/SAAMI Z299.2 standard.

I looked into it but was told you had to be a SAAMI member organization. Since I am using Neil's equipment, and I have shared my initial results with the guys at Oehler and at Hodgdon, I am satisfied this equipment is giving me reasonable and reliable results.
Then that is probably why Neil adjusted his setup to match Federal's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts