Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Loading Remington hulls, Win 209, Versalite or your favorite wad, 1 1/8 hard shot to perform similar to a
Nitro 27 for hi handicap yardage. Appreciate recommendations of how many grains of Green Dot to drop for ~1235 fps.
and results of patterning with different wads.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
A couple years ago I tested 5 wads for fit and function in STS hull. Since I shoot Remington Auto's I want great crimps and proper size. This is my Handicap Load. My yardage is 23 1/2 this is why the 8 shot. My best Handicap score this year 97x100. When I get to the 25 yd line I will switch to 7 1/2 shot Lawrence Mag shot.
Remington STS case
Win 209 primer
Downrange DRRF8 wad
Green Dot 20.1 gr.
West Coast Mag shot 485 gr. 8 shot

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
STS Hull
winchester 209 primer
Remington Figure 8 or clones
20.2 Green dot
1 1/8 shot
My crono results are 1225 FPS
Your milage may vary
drop 19.5 for a federal primer, same results

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
STS or Nitro Hulls, DRV-12 Versalite or Genuine Remington Figure 8, using the Winchester 209 or CCI209M (Magnum) primers, 20.5 grains of Green Dot Lot 776, averaged approximately 1235 fps when I tested the loads back in 2009. Remington STS primers did not fare well in the 1100, since flames were coming out of the ejection port at night after the shell was fired and velocities were not as consistent as I would have liked. I feared for my eyebrows. More than one 1100 was tried with the same results. Patterns appeared to lean toward the Versalite wads having a very slight advantage at about 40 yards. A larger sample of test patterns might have concluded otherwise. Not enough patterning was done to make any solid conclusions, except that a target would likely not survive if reasonably centered in the pattern and that the patterns compared reasonably well to those of factory loads in the same shotgun. Test gun was a Remington Classic Trap with a Cylinder choke in a 30 inch barrel for velocity and extended full choke for patterns. Other shotguns were tried and similar results were obtained. Just don't ask what the factory Nitro shells did over my chronographs when different lots were tried over a period of time. There is little truth in advertising.

Steve, I sent a reply to your PM with a bit more detail. Hope it helps!

Quack Shot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts