Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plenty of AA Hulls, CCI 209 primers, Remington SP wads and Green Dot powder. Published load data calls for 22.5 gr of Green Dot with the components I listed. On my PW 800+ using "O" powder bushing I can only get to 22.4 gr. Will that be OK or should I look for a different load all together. Just what is under/over grain tolerance, .1 to .2 ? I really don't what to modify my bushing. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't see any Green Dot 1 1/4 oz loads.

Blue dot, yeah. And more like 34-37 grains.

.1 grain either way won't hurt your load, btw.

·
Registered
16,712 Posts
The increased payload will bring pressures to unacceptable levels. You need to consider slower powders like Herco, 800X, HS-6 or others in the slow burning category.
If any reloading manual gives Green Dot loads with 1 & 1/4 oz of shot, I want to see it.

HM

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have plenty of AA Hulls, CCI 209 primers, Remington SP wads and Green Dot powder. Published load data calls for 22.5 gr of Green Dot with the components I listed. On my PW 800+ using "O" powder bushing I can only get to 22.4 gr. Will that be OK or should I look for a different load all together. Just what is under/over grain tolerance, .1 to .2 ? I really don't what to modify my bushing. Any info would be appreciated.
Green Dot burns too fast for an 1 and 1/4 oz load, building excessive pressure. You'd be playing with fire. I'd go with a slower burning powder; 800X, IMR Blue and Longshot are all good choices.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Page 207, Lyman 4th edition, Shot Shell Reloading Handbook. Velocity is supposed to be 1216 fps. I s where I found load info?

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Page 207, Lyman 4th edition, Shot Shell Reloading Handbook. Velocity is supposed to be 1216 fps. I s where I found load info?
Here is the Current Reloading Data From Alliant, regarding AA Hulls, With 1 1/4 oz payloads. Although you have some EXTREMELY Old data that supports your load, I wouldn't use it without Ballistic Testing.
It may be just fine, but probably NOT.
As far as your "0" bushing dropping 22.4,
Instead of the called for 22.5, no difference.
Screenshot_20200316-081418_Chrome.jpg
MG

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
A couple comments to you and your recipe.

If your using HS hulls, I don't think it'll fit.

I like mg1polo states, have the load verified by testing lab. I don't trust alot of the loads I've viewed in that manual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I remember my dad coming across that greendot load for 1 1/4 for some hunting loads, he was even skeptical about it at the time and went with something else.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Lyman's #5 (published in 2007) shows 2 loads for 1 1/4 oz. and Green Dot, both are at or near the SAAMI MAP. Both use the Win hull, there are none for Rem or Fed hulls. Both use the Rem SP12 wad. The loads call for 21.5 (CCI 209) and 21 gr. (Win 209) of powder. The OP says his data uses 22.5 gr. of powder.

It appears that as time went by, the wisdom of using Green Dot behind 1 1/4 oz. of shot, shall we say, evolved. Between the 4th and 5th editions, Lyman reduced the powder charge by a full grain and listed the load as producing pressure of 11,500 psi, right at the SAAMI MAP. If Hercules/Alliant ever published data for such a load, it has since deleted it.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not using the AA HS hulls. MG, the Blue Dot 35gr load info looks promising.

Thanks for all the good input/advice.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, where is the best place to get load info for shotshell loading? As in rifle no load works the same for a particular rifle, so I always work up from a starting load and use a chronograph.
I was always told that loading for shotgun to stick to published recipes, not go over or under load recommendations. Interesting to see Lyman's Blue Dot info trends to be different from Alliant's on line data.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
So, where is the best place to get load info for shotshell loading? As in rifle no load works the same for a particular rifle, so I always work up from a starting load and use a chronograph.
I was always told that loading for shotgun to stick to published recipes, not go over or under load recommendations. Interesting to see Lyman's Blue Dot info trends to be different from Alliant's on line data.
The very best place for shotshell load data are the online databases hosted by Alliant, Hodgdon and Western Powders. The 1st 2 are interactive and the 3rd in pdf format. They will have the most up to date data. Lyman's data came from a different lab, usually is different than the producers' data and is somewhat outdated, as the Green Dot 1 1/4 oz. experience shows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DD - You didn't say why you are wanting the 1 1/4-ounce load, but I'm guessing upland birds. If so, I would recommend you use 20/28 or Unique in the 1 1/4-ounce load. You may have to change your wad from the SP12 with those powders though. If you really want to use Green Dot, drop to 1 1/8-ounce loads and you'll find many options.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers from a 1 1/8-ounce Green Dot load and a 1 1/4-ounce Unique load that I've shot many birds with over the years.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (STS, R209, Green Dot, CB1118-12)
1 1/8 oz #6 lead (267 pellets) @ 1225 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 171 (64%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 211 (79%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 182 (68%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 195 (73%)

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, Unique, CB1114-12)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was trying to use up several bags of SP12s that where given to me, plus I have plenty of Green Dot.

Thanks again for all of info.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Not using the AA HS hulls. MG, the Blue Dot 35gr load info looks promising.

Thanks for all the good input/advice.
Unique will work for a 1220fps load and Herco maybe alittle better.

Not sure there is a good place as it seems that even the powder manufacture sites have had loads proved to be in error with both pressure and velocities when loads were sent to an independent lab.

I more trust the Reloading for Shotgunners series and the RCBS shotgun manual.

I personally dont use the Lyman recipes unless they're duplicated in one of the others.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fed paper 12s4 was 23.5 gr of green dot is the only 1-1/4 load I know of. I shoot it for my second and third shot for Annie’s.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Fed paper 12s4 was 23.5 gr of green dot is the only 1-1/4 load I know of. I shoot it for my second and third shot for Annie’s.
Not that It's life threatening, but that load has been reduced by Alliant from 23.5 to 23.
Just a heads up,
MG
Screenshot_20200317-083207_Chrome.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts