Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the fourth time over the past 5 years I saw Joe Bonamassa who appeared Saturday night at the FOX theater in Atlanta. Being a guitar player and without getting into a Bird, Magic, Jordan, Jabbar argument, I have concluded that Joe is the best Guitar player ever. His technical ability, stage presence, diversity in songs and his excellent voice helped me make this choice. Not bad for a 36 year old who has been touring for 25 years. What do you think? If you're not familiar with Joe, he can be found on you tube.

blade819
blade819_2008_0303130.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
9,977 Posts
Many come to mind. The best that I've ever seen was the late Randy California from Spirit. Other favorites are David Gilmore, Robert Fripp, Eric Clapton, Dave Davies, Mark Knopfler and Phil Manzanera.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Steve Miller or Angus on AC/DC

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
bebop, you have to understand what you're dealing with here.

This is the Jack Daniels/Crown Royal/Budweiser crowd.

Lafitte Rothschild is presumed to be a Revolutionary War French pirate.

For the record, there are many great Guitarists. Keith Richard, Nuge, Chuck Berry, J.J. Cale, SRV,too many to even call for one to be "Greatest". Hmm..no one mentioned Hendrix.

HM

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
David Gimore and Eric Clapton................

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Not sure he is in the greatest category, but here is an amazing performance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QhiKgeJV3k0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
One of the best is Ry Cooder...KS-OKIE

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
One more underrated player, in my opinion. Check out the lead starting at about 1:15. Sound up to catch all the notes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xzImpR_HF7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
There are many styles of guitar music and people who are great at that style.....I'm surprised no one has mentioned BB King.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-Y8QxOjuYHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges here...the electric guitar is an entirely different instrument from acoustic guitars...and classical guitar is even another genre.

In my world of acoustic steel string guitar Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Kenny Smith and Steve Bush are all wonderful pickers and should be considered in this vote. Martinpicker

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Duane Allman, David Gilmour, SRV, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jerry Reed, Johnny Winter, the list could go on and on.

Steve Howe from YES, and Rory Gallagher (RIP) are very underrated.

Wayne

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
One of my favorites with Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dlPjxz4LGak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Administrator
8,525 Posts
Trying to rate who the best guitarist would be is really pretty much an exercise in futility.There are so many great players out there and music being such a personal expression of emotion/energy ect. that every player channels it differently.We all have different tastes on what we like to listen to but there is no scoreboard to say ok this player is the best.I have seen some great names mentioned here.I seen Danny Gattons name mentioned here,I met him a few times and got to hang with him while he played.Great Guy and of course gone to early.Provided some backline equipment for Joe Bonamassa a summer ago when he did a show with Steve Lukether and Lee Rittnenour,great show.Check out Steve Morse as his name very seldom gets mentions but is worth the listening time for sure.Rock On George

·
Registered
613 Posts
Another vote for Chet Adkins, I worked with a couple of pickers 50 yr.s ago. Chet was in town and came to our work place to visit his friends. The three of them jammed for hours. Chet could play any style. Charo, friend of Xavier Cugart was no sloutch either.

·
Registered
15,953 Posts
John Geils of the J. Geils Band

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4768088/Give_It_To_Me_J_GEILS_BAND

1 - 20 of 113 Posts