Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
red dot can.JPG

I scored a 3lb can of Red Dot and an old Mec Jr. 20ga. reloader at local gun show. The can is from 11-1965 and is in unbelievably great shape. The Mec has a little surface rust but will be cleaned up soon.

With that said, what is your best hunting 20ga. load? I have a bunch of AA 20ga. hulls, lots of longshot and wsf laying around, and various other hulls. I'm getting o.k. crimps with AAhs & rem rxp20 wads & longshot. Is it harder to load 20 vs. 12? Maybe they aren't as forgiving.

thanks,

dk

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have a couple of those old cans laying around here too. Red Dot isn't a 20 gauge powder. but I'm sure you already know that. You mentioned WSF, that is the 20 gauge powder I use also. Good clay target loads can be had as well as some hunting loads for the likes of dove & quail. Good gun show snag ya got there. Colonel

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
if its free to my door, i'll take it. thanks.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
we'll let the owner decide who is more worthy of it.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
ok, i called dk and got clarification.
hes not giving it away, the way it appeared.
he just wants to know what its worth. he paid 35.00 at a gun show for it and thought it had powder in it. the seller obviously knew it was worth 35.00 when he sold it.
so, big all, ya gotta up your offer. ;>

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't trying to use Red dot; just happened to find that cool old 3lb can and a 20 ga. Mec loader, plus a few bags of rem rxp20 wads for a great price. I think I got everything for $60 if I recall. I hadn't attempted any 2o ga. loads at that time but now have some nice recipes down for hunting w the 20 ga. autoloader.

It feels like Christmas when I get time to hit the large sales and find all the old things for sale.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^Not only a lot of guts, but saying I called him when in fact I never did, I find that a little strange.
In reality, I think he sent a PM about how he would trade a few rounds for it at his club. When I replied to the P.M. saying no thanks, he puts up the post saying "I called and he's not giving it away"
That's all nice and such and if I lived nearby I probably would have; but I never "appeared to be giving it away" and if I did, why the PM to trade out rounds?

Sorry if anyone thinks this was confusing, but I was happy to score a cool old can, thought it may of held a pound or so of old powder with a 50/50 chance of being good. Plus I got an old Mec 600 in 20 ga. with about 1000 20 ga. wads. Everything for about $60. Now that I had a 20 ga. reloader, I was asking for some decent hunting loads in a 20 ga. Doesn't anyone go to gun shows and check out the deals on reloaders or old models that you haven't seen since you were young? I've seen some pretty cool deals on some nice old items that I've managed to get back from childhood days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts