Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2984.JPG
2983.JPG
2985.JPG
2986.JPG
2987.JPG
A couple of weeks ago, I sent my MX-3 Receiver and Iron plus 2 trigger bodys and parts to AL LINGHAM at 107 W. KELSO St. in Tucson, Ariz. for reblueing. Al only had them about 10 days. I got them back yesterday~~~Great Job and about 1/2 the price that I expected !!!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Thank you Gary I would like to see the gun together.

AL, KELSO GUNSMITHING

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
We have been using Al for a while. Always a good job, quick, and reasonable. Also been to his house for a barbeque. THANKS AL. Always ready to help.........merlyn..... ps, we will have a few guns in for service this January!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice Job! Deep rich color. How do they protect the gold lettering or do they apply it again somehow? I have BT-100 that may need it someday.

·
Registered
855 Posts
So, can anyone answer hardRT's question re the gold lettering. It's not engraved, so how do they redo it?? Yeah, us guys would like to know. Thanks.....

Ernie

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ernie, the chemistry of bluing only works on steel. Since gold is inert in this reaction, the bluing doesn't "stick" to the gold. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Avaldes........thanks for the reply. I'm so clueless re metallurgy.

So, these gold decals are left on the gun while the bluing process takes place!? That is what you're saying. And then they stay in place during some kind of polishing/buffing too? I be very confused. Many P guns are engraved with their designation and then gold colored filled but for some years they only used decals. So, how do these decals stay intact?? Or replaceable...and from where?? Help me, please.

thanks.......

Ernie

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't know about decals. The gun above and all of my Perazzis have gold lettering that is actual gold pressed into the engraving. They give the engraving a slight dove-tail to the edge and then hammer in the gold wire to make the letters. Very carefully they make the surface of the gold and the steel flat. Once in place, the gold is part of the receiver and can withstand the polishing and bluing process.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks again. This gun appears to have decals.....not gold leaf. Yep, I may be wrong ...well not the last time I hope. I've one engraved and no gold leaf and one with no engraving and decals.

Still looking for an answer....thanks Avaldes. Your prompt reply is most appreciated.

Ernie

1 - 20 of 35 Posts