Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
It's really personal preference as long as it's applied to a clean surface on a daily basis.

I use White Lithium grease on my guns and to lube my P/W 800+. Also use Mobile 1 when I take out my ejectors to clean and lube.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I use grease for the action, Red Line Red-n-Tacky to be exact. Works wonderfully and is cheap.
For my trigger I use a high quality oil.
For the outside to protect the blueing I like to wipe a good amount of Marvel Mystery Oil on it, but be careful not to get your wood with it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wasn't someone's tag line - "if it spins oil it, if it slides grease it"?
To all of you motor oil advocates. 10w-30, 10w-40 and all other multi viscosity oils are made from base stock from first number viscosity. Additives are blended to increase viscosity as the oil warms up. In my opinion 10w oil is to light on a given summer day. It will run and migrate into the wood along with making your gun messy. The hinge area will never reach the temperature that an engine will therefore the additives will never reach temperatures to increase viscosity. I have used Lubriplate for over 50 years and never had a hinge area scuff and score. I have used it on Browning Superposes,BT99's and Citoris's, Winchester 21's, Perazzi's, Ithaca SBT's, etc. I have confidence in it. I have repaired many that was scuffed and scored and recommended my choice to them for their future use.The reason I use the term scuffing and scoring is when I was at the university and taking metallurgy one of the professors would penalize 10 points if someone said galled. Can't break the habit. Part of my career was with a major oil company that manufactures lubricants. I worked with the metallurgy department evaluating claims of their products causing premature failure. Many trips to Caterpillar, John Deere and others to get our products certified to meet their specs along with API specs. I did not work for Lubriplate. I like that saying If it spins oil it, if it slides grease it. I understand it is your d!(k and your soap and water so you can wash it as fast and as long as you want to. I am old school so make mine a good grease and keep it clean and do not forget the area that the forearm latches to.

·
Registered
29,297 Posts
I have used Lubriplate for over 50 years and never had a hinge area scuff and score.
Which Lubriplate product do you use?

Any pros or cons to using assembly grease? I have some but am not using it.

I apply a fresh coat of grease before shooting and wipe it off after I am done.

I once let a hinged gun go for about two weeks before cleaning. That taught me a lesson.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Grease is pretty much oil plus soap to thicken it, so not much of a difference except how thick it is. Both oil and grease provide lubrication, but grease sticks around longer and picks up more soil.

I think we spend too much time and money on special stuff, when a quart of a high-quality motor oil almost always does the trick in a gun that is cleaned regularly. Soak small parts in a jar of 10W-40 and wipe off all you are able to reach. If I shot 1,000 rounds on a Saturday I might change my tune, but I don't.
used left over clean motor oil from changes on my ar15s for years. worked like a champ. but i do use clp most of the time

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have used Lucas oil red and tacky grease in the summer time and summer grade high tac chain saw bar oil in the winter time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A machinist told me "If it moves slow, grease it; if moves fast, oil it."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tend to favor Grease over oil. Every time I use oil, I seem to use too much and it gets everywhere. Grease just for the ease of use in my opinion.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts