Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
I can't believe it myself...looks to be a great shoot weather wise!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Never been there is it humid.
Steve
It's in the Midwest and it's August. Yes, it can get humid. It can also pop thunderstorms full of lightning, wind and rain in very short order. And it can be 78*, 40% humidity and a light NW breeze for a very enjoyable day. And in the course of a two week event, it will probably do all of those and everything in between. Come prepared, it'll be wonderful!!

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
It's in the Midwest and it's August. Yes, it can get humid. It can also pop thunderstorms full of lightning, wind and rain in very short order. And it can be 78*, 40% humidity and a light NW breeze for a very enjoyable day. And in the course of a two week event, it will probably do all of those and everything in between. Come prepared, it'll be wonderful!!
That would be something I will find out one day.
Right now my air conditioning is out 102 right now. No humidity.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
That would be something I will find out one day.
Right now my air conditioning is out 102 right now. No humidity.
Steve
Yeah, I’m assuming that’s Bakersfield, CA. It’s a dry heat, but it’s still 102*!!! Been to CA and to Phoenix mid summer several times in my youth. Here (Shelbyville, IL, bout 2 hours from Sparta) today we were at 90* +/- but at 80%+ humidity. Had the heat index up to 104*. Ya sweat just walking from air conditioned house to air conditioned car.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Yeah, I’m assuming that’s Bakersfield, CA. It’s a dry heat, but it’s still 102*!!! Been to CA and to Phoenix mid summer several times in my youth. Here (Shelbyville, IL, bout 2 hours from Sparta) today we were at 90* +/- but at 80%+ humidity. Had the heat index up to 104*. Ya sweat just walking from air conditioned house to air conditioned car.
I calapsed in weather like that one time
Heat stroke hauled off in an ambulance
4 years ago.
My heart rate was at 43-45 for two years had to get a stroller to push my gun from post to post
Hart rate is in the 50’s now doing great
Not my kind of heat
My air is back on
Lol
At 67 I would still like to go
Break em all guys
Steve

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I remember a little pop up storm in Sparta, a few years back. Blew every outhouse into the next county. Hunkered down in my camper and hoped for the best. Lots of damage throughout the grounds including many speakers. They busted their ass and had everything ready the following morning.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I'm prepping for the heat, humidity, and skeeters. Not much of anything except heat from my neck of the woods. Since my raingear is from The Golf Wearhouse, I figured I would shoot in golf slacks. Golf apparel seems well suited to trap shooting. Also added a fishing shirt with a hood to keep the bugs off my neck and plenty of bug repellent. Anyone have some other suggestions?

·
Registered
959 Posts
While I have sweated out gallons of water at Sparta, I can say I've never really encountered bugs except for those corn bees and they don't sting. Sure, every once in a while they will land on your rib as you are about to shoot the bird but that's no big deal. It seems like the bugs only come out at night around 7 or 8pm when it's just nice enough to sit out at night.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I calapsed in weather like that one time
Heat stroke hauled off in an ambulance
4 years ago.
My heart rate was at 43-45 for two years had to get a stroller to push my gun from post to post
Hart rate is in the 50’s now doing great
Not my kind of heat
My air is back on
Lol
At 67 I would still like to go
Break em all guys
Steve
Just stay hydrated, dress in loose, light colored clothing and get in the shade when possible. Despite the trolls who bemoan the fact that there are few trees on the prairie, there are several large tent like shelters all up and down the line on the west end as well as small roofed shelters behind each trap on the whole line and a few, small trees that get bigger every year. I’ve seen and assisted folks on the line over the years at different shoots that suffer heat stroke. More than one was wearing a black ball cap that offers no protection from the sun, black shirt, dark vest and heavy jeans. They were on the North side of 60 and probably had health issues. Ya gotta use common sense when dealing with either end of extreme weather. There’s thousands of grumpy, old, fat, white guys that shoot in much hotter conditions than you’ll experience at the Grand every year. You just gotta plan for it.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Just stay hydrated, dress in loose, light colored clothing and get in the shade when possible. Despite the trolls who bemoan the fact that there are few trees on the prairie, there are several large tent like shelters all up and down the line on the west end as well as small roofed shelters behind each trap on the whole line and a few, small trees that get bigger every year. I’ve seen and assisted folks on the line over the years at different shoots that suffer heat stroke. More than one was wearing a black ball cap that offers no protection from the sun, black shirt, dark vest and heavy jeans. They were on the North side of 60 and probably had health issues. Ya gotta use common sense when dealing with either end of extreme weather. There’s thousands of grumpy, old, fat, white guys that shoot in much hotter conditions than you’ll experience at the Grand every year. You just gotta plan for it.
I think I will put it on my bucket list for next year
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
And, as you can see by my avatar, I’d recommend a light colored, wide brimmed hat!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Federal cap, shorts and a big dog t shirt works for me. Sweat bees can be a pest a times. Not to bad really. I welded for 35 years and I'm used to the heat. Everyone keeps talking about the humidity like illinois is the only place that can be humid.🙄

1 - 20 of 20 Posts