Trapshooters Forum banner

Grand reminder, Bug Spray

1982 13
Our kid's just came in from shooting practice at the WSRC. The last few weeks have been pretty wet and humid, the mosquito's are alive and thriving in Southern Illinois. Don't forget the bug spray if your coming to see us.

regards,

Todd
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Thank you for this post. I come from a place with virtually no mosquitos. I remembered the heat and humidity, but didn't even think about bug protection. I hope the natural solutions work, because I'd rather get bitten all day then ruin the finish on my Perazzi.

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
2. Wristbands

These wearable repellent devices are marketed as being safer because you don't have to rub anything on your skin.
But scientists who have tested these products have found them to be ineffective. In a 2017 study in the Journal of Insect Science, researchers found they had no significant effect in repelling mosquitoes. (Past CR tests of these items have found similar results.)

“It’s not that they don’t contain mosquito repellents,” says Immo Hansen, PhD, an author of the study and professor of biology at New Mexico State University. But “wearing a bracelet to protect your whole body from mosquitoes,” he says, is just not enough.

In 2016, the Federal Trade Commission fined one wristband maker, Viatek, $300,000 for deceptive marketing of its Mosquito Shield Bands. The commission says the company's claims that the bands protect against mosquitoes were not backed by scientific evidence.

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Here is a list of recently tested effective repellents:

· Premium Member
8,257 Posts
2. Wristbands

These wearable repellent devices are marketed as being safer because you don't have to rub anything on your skin.
But scientists who have tested these products have found them to be ineffective. In a 2017 study in the Journal of Insect Science, researchers found they had no significant effect in repelling mosquitoes. (Past CR tests of these items have found similar results.)

“It’s not that they don’t contain mosquito repellents,” says Immo Hansen, PhD, an author of the study and professor of biology at New Mexico State University. But “wearing a bracelet to protect your whole body from mosquitoes,” he says, is just not enough.

In 2016, the Federal Trade Commission fined one wristband maker, Viatek, $300,000 for deceptive marketing of its Mosquito Shield Bands. The commission says the company's claims that the bands protect against mosquitoes were not backed by scientific evidence.
Yup, do nothing bands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.