Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having problems with pre-squading for the Grand. I type in the section/ the event/ time of day/ list all squad mates. Then you pay and after it's paid for you see the banks you are on. Didn't get the area I wanted. Wasted 12 bucks.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Anyone having problems with pre-squading for the Grand. I type in the section/ the event/ time of day/ list all squad mates. Then you pay and after it's paid for you see the banks you are on. Didn't get the area I wanted. Wasted 12 bucks.

I don't believe anything is guaranteed there. You put your preference and you get what you get.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I did mine the second day Pre- squadding opened and it was pretty simple. I got not only the early squads I wanted but also the post and the banks. I am a happy old man! This was for the last four days of the Grand as that's all I can attend.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Did you get the next set of banks on either side or quite a ways away ? I think the pre-squading still beats standing in line forever to squad.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I requested mid times and I am shoot first squad out 4 or 5 days. Only got the bank section that I wanted a few times. I did get the post that I like, that is the only thing that worked perfect.

I do agree with KS-OKIE about waiting in line. I really like PreSquad.com where you pick the squad number that you want to be on.
Hint, hint.

Jason

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I pre squaded 2 weeks ago. Got a lot better pick LAST year! I did ok on a few events but sure wanted an earlier squad for the GAH ,Got squad 99. Also got stuck down on the east end twice. I was holding off a little waiting on another guy , my mistake. I guess I need to get in on day one next year.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Pre squad early is the cats meow, especially when someone else does it for you. LOL

That reminds me, I still need to pay. :3a:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I entered my pre-squad requests within minutes of the function being made available on 06/15. Got most of what I'd requested except for the last two events of the Grand. Contacted the ATA and they fixed the problem. Sometimes, a solution is as simple as directly contacting those that can help.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I entered my pre-squad requests within minutes of the function being made available on 06/15. Got most of what I'd requested except for the last two events of the Grand. Contacted the ATA and they fixed the problem. Sometimes, a solution is as simple as directly contacting those that can help.
Very true. I messed up and squaded for the wrong events. A quick e mail and within a couple hours all was fixed and I was sent my "new" squad info. Not everything I wanted exactly, but the correct events and most were very close to what I requested. I'm just happy to be able to go and shoot at such a wonderful event.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stan Stramel of the ATA sent this e-mail. Changes can be made to squadding at the Grand. When you arrive, get Classified and then go to the Squadding Manager and they can get you to the position you desire. MY reply is Thanks for the email but I could of done that without spending $12 bucks. Why can't we see the squads, like PRESQUAD.COM and then fill the ones open?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too like presquad.com much better than the ATA's version but since I can only attend the prelim week I just wait till the lines are short and do it onsite.

Now if I could just learn how to stay away from the food vendors I would be in better shape! (a little less round at least)

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Stan Stramel of the ATA sent this e-mail. Changes can be made to squadding at the Grand. When you arrive, get Classified and then go to the Squadding Manager and they can get you to the position you desire. MY reply is Thanks for the email but I could of done that without spending $12 bucks. Why can't we see the squads, like PRESQUAD.COM and then fill the ones open?
What they attempt to do is what is called "leveling the line."

It's based on the belief that everybody wants the same bank, or, in the case of the Grand, the same section.

So, in order to keep the "favorite" section from having 20 flights, and the least favorite section from having 3, they control who goes where.

If the "favorite" section has reached it's maximum, let's say it's 9 flights, then additional requests for that section get moved to other sections until they all reach 9 flights.

Then they'll open additional flights.

In order to get your favorite section, you need to pre-squad early.

When you pre-squad early, while you probably will get the section you want, you probably won't get the time you'd like.

I'm not sure how many flights they open at first, but I'd swear that sometimes it seems like only three.

In other words, for an early pre-squadder, if you request an early time you get flight 1, middle time, flight 2, and late is flight 3.

That's probably not how it's done, but it sure seems like it.

Squadding when you get to the Grand is no guarantee that you'll get the section you want either.

If your favorite section is "full" then the only way you're going to get squadded in that section is if someone else gives up their post.

That can happen, of course, but there's no guarantee.

In other words, right now there aren't open spots in that section you want and they're just keeping you from taking them out of spite.

What Stan is indicating is that once the Grand starts, positions can open up as people cancel pre-squadded positions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm baffled at the ATA's response to your request. My experience has been quite the opposite. The assignments that I'd paid for but which failed to meet the pre-squad parameters that I'd entered, were immediately cancelled and I was issued new squad assignments that satisfactorily met both the Section and Time criteria. If you are not satisfied with the response that you received, climb the ladder and keep rattling cages until you receive what you paid for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, I wish they used a system like presquad.com . I always like it and it is much more "user friendly" than the ATA system.
I too would like to see major improvements to the way Grand Pre-Squad is presented to us. I've contacted my delegate and requested that the issue be raised at the Grand. The ATA is our organization and state delegates are our voice. Let them know how you feel and ask them to support a change to the current system.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
keep rattling cages until you receive what you paid for - I think he got what he paid for (positions in events at the Grand), he just didn't get what he wanted. I don't believe there is any guarantee you will get what you request, when presquadding you are asked about your "preferences", not your "requirements".

I do wish there was a better way, and I'm not a fan of the "blind" presquadding. I emailed the exec director about it a few years ago and was basically told that the system was built the way the BOD wanted it, and was patterned after the system that RJ Stuart had in place. There are some shoots that I won't presquad for because I know it's going to turn out badly - ex. Southwestern Grand. Even though they know (based on past attendance) that they will have 100 squads for an event, they only open 25. So if you presquad and request a late squad you will get something in the 20's. But then when the event rolls around there will be 100 squads. They could, if they wanted, open all 100 squads so that early/middle/late would have some meaning. But that's balanced against trying to fill squads and not having 100 squads when you only need 50.

With something like presquad.com you can see what you are getting before you pay, but unless they make all the squads available you still have an issue of a late squad becoming an early squad once they open more squads.

Having done the Grand squadding for my group for a number of years, there's a bit of an art to squadding that will enable you to get what you want. Doing it early is definitely one thing that helps, because once things start filling in it's less likely you will get what you want. Keep in mind that right now there is just about one week left in the presquadding period, so anyone presquadding now is at the end of the line. In my case, being more flexible on bank or time is better than standing in the squadding line. Not everyone has that outlook, so you need to decide if presquadding is for you, or maybe you are better off standing in line. If I get something really objectionable from presquadding then I just plan to hit up the CEB mid-afternoon when it's not busy to get something else more to my liking.

Scott

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree seeing what open would be a much better way. also choice of bank or time you only get priority for one, if you could see what open you would then be able to decide which makes more sence for you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts