Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ammo and component shortages , more and more i see people asking inane prices for stuff. The sad part is people are PAYING it. Back in KY where I grew up some guy is selling a bunch of stuff. Shot wads and primers. A buddy of mine asked if I wanted any. The price for shot was 60 bucks a bag and primers 70 bucks per thousand. I declined. I know some people are desperate but as long as folks will pay these gougers these prices it will keep happening. I keep hoping sometime in the future ammo will be readily available again. When that finally does happen I think it will put the gougers out of business. I keep hearing people defending stores selling target shells for 15 bucks a box or more . Yes that IS capitalism but , capitalism works both ways. They have a right to sell it at that price and I have a right to refuse to buy it. I'm all for them making a profit but marking up shells in stock to 3 times what they were is gouging. There is a difference in making a profit and making a killing . One guy I know and his buddy coach and field 2 youth teams ( or at least they did until this last year). They were not able to get a source for ammo in the 2021 target year . They were paying just over 5 bucks a box for the ammo they were using , buying it by the pallet but, their source dried up. One guy called them and said he could supply the same ammo but at over twice the price! They declined. I love to shoot the game but ,I have a limit on what I will spend. I like to fish also and my boat is paid for , I have enough tackle to last me ,and I have a lifetime lisc. I think prices it will hit a break point for a lot of people. Inflation is a run away train now and working class families will eventually reach a limit . This sport was once one only the well to do could afford, and I would hate to see it return to that.

· Registered
244 Posts
Gouging sucks! But Unfourtantly local stores have had to compete with Internet companies that buy at volume discounts, we as consumers tend to buy where we get the best price. Well now that options are limited some of the local mom and pops feel justified in gouging prices. They know as soon as things normalize they again will be competing for your dollars at a unfair advantage. Then there is the fact that they are only getting a limited supply of product to sell, their overhead doesn’t change and bills need to be paid, kids need to be fed.

· Registered
134 Posts
I’ve got a local store where I can buy CCI small rifle primers all day long for $130 per 1000, I told the guy I’ll start throwing rocks before I pay that!
things will settle down, may take a couple years, but we need to remember those companies that charged ridiculous prices and not do business with them.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
If the retailer doesn’t raise their price to match market conditions their customers will just buy it up and resell it themselves. There’s no way for the retailer to prevent that except to raise their price. That’s what’s happening with the ammo being sold at Walmart. Some people are shooting it and some people are reselling it.

· Registered
105 Posts
I just started shooting again, after 13 years of nice fishing. I'm with you. Sticker price, shocked the heck out of me. It's already back to the point of only well to do can afford. I would like to buy a different gun, but I'm not sure I can wait two years for thigs to calm down. I was listening to a guy who said he had 30,000 primers. This guy doesn't shoot registered targets, he just has a lot of money. I hope these hoarders enjoy shooting by themselves.

· Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the product is not readily available it isn't gouging
When you suddenly raise your prices to 3 or 4 times what they were and take advantage of people because of the situation then YES it is gouging!!! Not to worry though, EVENTUALLY I think supply WILL catch up with demand ( although it will take awhile) Then those retailers that jacked up their prices will be either be stuck with what they have ,or will bring their prices back down to reasonable levels. As for me i have a long memory and hope other will also, and will buy elsewhere.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
People fail to realize that the SELLER never determines the price of an item, the BUYER does. That sword cuts both ways, if the buyer is willing to pay more, the price goes up, if the buyer isn't, the price goes down, but the BUYER always determines the price.
Absolutely, nobody forces you to buy anything, if you don't like the price don't buy it, this year we have seen huge price increases in the cost of food, gas, lumber, ammunition and pretty much everything else, you can blame covid and shut downs, you can blame the new government or blame anyone you want, the fact is you either pay the higher price or do without it. Blaming the retailer that for the most part operates on a fixed mark up for the higher prices is like blaming the guy that pumps the gas for the high gas price, they have very little control over the cost of the product, anyway just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.