Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13,490 Posts
Ditto here as well. The 20 ga. ammo is even harder to find than 12 ga.!!!

Of course if your running low on your stash of 12 ga. ammo for trap? You may want to use up some of your 20 ga. stash! I'd use the 20 ga. for the shorter sporting clay courses. Its the perfect gauge to use for the 15 to 35 yard slower targets found on most of the easy courses. break em all jeff

· Registered
25,339 Posts
With no 12 ga ammo to buy we had to dig into 20 ga ammo. Has anyone else had to down size to keep shooting trap?
Yes, but not because of the ammo shortage. Going back a number of years my left arm became weak. At night I'd wake up, feeling like my arm was being twisted in two. I lost over a third of my strength. By the time I finished a round of trap, my 12ga trap gun was just too heavy. I put together a lighter 20ga clone of it, kind of like a 7/8ths scale trap gun. I was able to shoot it quite well. Scores were the same, but I was shooting singles, doubles and sporting clays, not 'caps. One thing was glaringly obvious. The 20ga got into action faster and would swing through too fast. It's perfect for jinking corrections for sporting clays, but I had to deliberately move the gun slower for trap, whereas the extra weight of the 12ga did that for me. The problem with my arm has been corrected, and I gained back most of the strength in my arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.