Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Banned
9,591 Posts
More out of curiosity than anything, what constitutes a "good" target, or a club that throws "good" targets, in your opinion?
A target that is set to 42 mph and a height of
9 1/2' when measured at 30'.
This will be a good target on the Trap Field.
Skeet Targets have there own regulations,
MG

· Registered
13,503 Posts
When the wind kicks in. You just have to do the best Ya can!!! I guarantee the targets will be effected. If its not windy. Look at the post above. If your shooting skeet. The target has to go through the hoop set at the exact center of the field. There is no way to check the targets in Sporting Clays. All the targets are different. break em all jeff

· Registered
1,920 Posts
It is relatively trivial for any experienced shooter to set a 'good' target on a single trap that is acceptable to most everyone. It is much harder to set multiple traps to be consistent with each other. So in my opinion a club that throws 'good' targets has consistency up and down the trap line. You'd be surprised how easy it is for average shooters to be thrown off by 1mph or 1ft height difference in targets moving from trap 1 to trap 2. If they stayed on the same trap they'd likely be fine.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A target that is set to 42 mph and a height of
9 1/2' when measured at 30'.
This will be a good target on the Trap Field.
Skeet Targets have there own regulations,
MG
MG, and a max included angle of 34° or are you ok with them going out to the 54° that is considered legal? (17° or 27° left or right of center)

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
A target set at 42 mph and 9 1/2' will never go 54 yards. 34 deg angle is not going to produce a legal target in Trap Singles. 22 max.
I believe he’s talking about target spread from straightaway, not distance or angle of the target plate on the trap. The rules call for 17* each side of straightaway with 10* beyond that allowed before a target is declared illegal. That’s where the 34 and 54 numbers are coming from.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I believe he’s talking about target spread from straightaway, not distance or angle of the target plate on the trap. The rules call for 17* each side of straightaway with 10* beyond that allowed before a target is declared illegal. That’s where the 34 and 54 numbers are coming from.
Thank you, Yes, that is the rule for the field.
He wrote his numbers in inches, I couldn't tell what he was saying.
MG

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.