Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Perazzi TM1 (Ithaca) Fixed Full with Stock Lock and a Bowen Release.
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local eye doctors have been making glasses for my wife for many years. I won't mention her age but we've been married 4.9 decades. Anyhow, in recent years her trap scores plummeted.

She's complained over the several months that it's difficult to read and there were times of double-vision. She got new glasses and it seemed to be worse.

When I could see her shot patterns I would often comment that she was WAY OFF - usually to the right but not always. That resulted in a session for determining eye dominance. Failure. Sometimes it was left and sometimes right. Often neither. Impossible, right?

She found a new eye doctor who told her she had cataracts. It isn't unusual but it is a surprise that nobody mentioned it before. No, they aren't "new" cataracts and they ought to be fixed.

Why is that good news? Because it means she sees a reason for the poor shooting and is looking forward to shooting more. To start she'll go one-eye.

I had cataracts removed over 40 years ago - when I was too young for implants. I was bummed at the time but I have been delighted with my vision since then - hard, gas-permeable lenses are awesome.

We're tiptoeing into retirement and we had plans to travel the roads and visit different shooting venues - and maybe get into the ATA thing. As a past "OK" shooter, my wife had often said she was looking forward to driving and sharing the sport with me. The bad vision has relegated her mostly to the peanut gallery. Maybe that will change - and that seems to be making her happy today.

IT'S GOOD TO BE HAPPY TODAY - for anything.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Good News Indeed! May her surgery go well, so she can continue to shoot with you far into the future!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
601 Posts
First, I want to wish your wife the best in the cataract procedure. You’re lucky to have a spouse who is willing to share an interest in shooting with you. May your travels go well and safe. Hopefully I will run into you if you’re ever in the Fort Worth, Texas area.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My wife had both eyes done about a year ago. She is very pleased. Best of luck to your wife. When she is able to see again she will probably start beating you.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just had my first done 10/19. Amazing. Didn't know what I was missing. Having second done 11/2. Your sweet, sweet wife is going to love it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would strongly recommend she get single vision distance lens when she gets measured for the new lens. Get a set of reading glasses at Walgreens for reading. Good luck to both of you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like TC, I went for the single distance lenses for both eyes and now wear $5 readers for anything closer than about 12". The procedure is a snap and the results were amazing. Should have had it done years earlier. 20/20 vision now with the added benefit of seeing things in their true, vivid colors. Hope your wife has the same experience.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi TM1 (Ithaca) Fixed Full with Stock Lock and a Bowen Release.
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would strongly recommend she get single vision distance lens when she gets measured for the new lens. Get a set of reading glasses at Walgreens for reading. Good luck to both of you.
Excellent advice.
I know first hand the benefits of single focus lenses. Readers bother SOME people but the benefits far outweigh the concerns. In addition to being good and inexpensive, they are easily available at practically every drugstore in the country, which is a major benefit for those of us who leave them at home or break them while traveling.

BTW, Foster Grant now sells non-Rx readers that have graduated powers - strong on the bottom and weaker toward the top. They are also available in a blue-blocking tint.

·
Premium Member
19,565 Posts
That is good news. Good luck to your wife!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The local eye doctors have been making glasses for my wife for many years. I won't mention her age but we've been married 4.9 decades. Anyhow, in recent years her trap scores plummeted.

She's complained over the several months that it's difficult to read and there were times of double-vision. She got new glasses and it seemed to be worse.

When I could see her shot patterns I would often comment that she was WAY OFF - usually to the right but not always. That resulted in a session for determining eye dominance. Failure. Sometimes it was left and sometimes right. Often neither. Impossible, right?

She found a new eye doctor who told her she had cataracts. It isn't unusual but it is a surprise that nobody mentioned it before. No, they aren't "new" cataracts and they ought to be fixed.

Why is that good news? Because it means she sees a reason for the poor shooting and is looking forward to shooting more. To start she'll go one-eye.

I had cataracts removed over 40 years ago - when I was too young for implants. I was bummed at the time but I have been delighted with my vision since then - hard, gas-permeable lenses are awesome.

We're tiptoeing into retirement and we had plans to travel the roads and visit different shooting venues - and maybe get into the ATA thing. As a past "OK" shooter, my wife had often said she was looking forward to driving and sharing the sport with me. The bad vision has relegated her mostly to the peanut gallery. Maybe that will change - and that seems to be making her happy today.

IT'S GOOD TO BE HAPPY TODAY - for anything.
Vision is certainly the most important fundamental when it comes to hitting a clay target - glad you found the problem/answer. Good luck to you both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts