Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good handicap load for long yardage. It would be nice if it doesn't knock my head off. Any information would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
What Wolfram said, but if you want, you can substitute the Downrange clone of the TGT-12 wad.

G

·
It doesn't get any better than what wolfram stated. I've been shooting this load for years. It's also very consistant no matter what the temp is.

ec90t

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Question, won't 1 1/8 oz of shot overfill the shot cup on a TGT-12, if not why would anyone use a Fig-8 for 11/8 oz loads. I use nothing but TGT 12's for singles & short cap loads with Clay Dot. Would like to be able to sub them for 11/8 oz loads for singles ,if I want to go to 1 1/8 oz loads.

Thanks---Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
"won't 1 1/8 oz of shot overfill the shot cup on a TGT-12?"

Yes, but not by much.

"why would anyone use a Fig-8 for 11/8 oz loads"

The reason why you use a TGT-12 with Titegroup is that Titegroup is a very dense powder and does not take up much space in the hull, so you need a "taller" wad. Other powders that take up more space will work fine with a Figure 8.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
19 grains of Geeen Dot with 1 1/8 #7 1/2 shot - I use Winchester Orange wad and Win 209 in a AA hull

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
24 grains for Unique 1 1/8oz shot DR Versalite wad Remington hull Winchester 209 primer Turns them inside out..and a push.. not a crack.. in recoil..

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've found that any 1-1/8 target load works for yardage. I've loaded with several wad/powder/primer combinations and had good scores with all. The most important is to use hard shot, I prefer 7-1/2. Don't try to bump up the powder charge, it causes more harm than good. I ran out of shells one night and had to buy shells for an Annie Oakley. The only ones the range had left were WW Superlites. I bought a box and won the Annie with them.

Joe

G

·
Phil,

If you compare the shot cup of a TGT with that of a Fig 8 you'll see that they are the same. The only difference is the height. The weight of the two wads are almost the same. In fact the two are interchangable, according to Hodgdon, without any adverse effects.

Cut a Nitro 27 handicap shell open and you'll find a TGT-12 residing inside.

ec90t

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I agree with Mike. Unique is one of the best powders for HCP. 1250 foot loads give a gentle push, and do turn a solid into a vapor at long range. :^)

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I'll echo the thought about good, hard magnum shot. Get the good stuff. For handicap loads, I use Remington shot.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
ANything using green dot as a propellant in the 1145 fps tp 1200 fps range. I've tried the majprity of powders through the years and have come to rely on this powder and all weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.