Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BT-99 made in '71 that has about 1/16" of slop in the lock up. The release lever is also to the left of center and doesn't have much tension on the spring.

I'm looking for a good gunsmith in Maryland with experience with the BT.

Thanks,

·
Registered
283 Posts
I shoot in Maryland a lot. I have mostly Brownings. I would take the time and effort to drive over to Belleplain, NJ. There is a Browning service center there. They are listed on the Browning website. You can call them up and talk to Nick. I haven't found a really good gunsmith in MD in years. But I'm on the Eastern Shore. There's one in Easton but you better be prepared to wait a long time. Long time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The gunsmith in Easton, MD is at Albrights gun shop. You have to drop the gun off and when the gunsmith gets to it, he will call you to ask the problem.

Trouble is everybody waits until hunting season starts to find out their gun needs work; hence the shops get backed up.
The gunsmith in Bellplain, NJ usually will work on your gun while you wait. It's worth it just to call Nick and explain the issue. It will be over and done in a couple days. But it is a bad time of year to need gun repair. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Hunting season? My guns were in there for two or three hunting seasons, they knew what they needed, and I never got a call. When I went to retrieve my guns, I was some kind of thief and the staff at the store has me on the ignore list. All I wanted was to have the barrels blued. After two or three years, the barrels had a coat or two of rust, were about one treatment away from completion. The gunsmith handed the barrels back to me with greasy hands. I believe the proprietor expected some payment. Good luck. My next gunsmith had to strike them and start from scratch. It is a terrible place to get your gun worked on.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Albrights doesn't have a full time gunsmith, they have a partially unretired gunsmith and they're only accepting basic gun repairs and cleaning. Although I figure my BT repairs won't be anything more than "basic", I don't want my gun to end up sitting in a very long line of guns waiting to be repaired. They are looking for a full time guy if anyone is interested.

I've still got one local guy left to call, fingers crossed.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Pack up the receiver and send it to Phillips Gunsmith--you'll get it back when he says. He will do the job.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in Maryland as well and I haven't even found anyone who is capable of a simple recoil pad install. I have a citori that needs some love and I called Doug Braker to discuss the process and cost. He gets my vote. But you will have to ship it there.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, I have CGs so in MD is not an issue. However when I needed Gracoils and pads on other guns, I just gave them to Jack Bart and he sent them away, got them fixed and they were returned in several weeks. Don't know where he sends stuff, and don't care. It gets fixed and he backs it and handles all the shipping etc.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Its been 8 days. You could have sent it to one of several gunsmiths who are on here, Phillip in Texas, Doug Hubbart in Az this winter, Tom Larkin in Minn, Pat in Minn, Pat Laib in Minn, and a host of others. Box the thing up and send it. It will be back in less than 2 weeks. Or keep doing what you are doing. I talked to Bill Simon today and he has time in Az. Could do it in a day......520 508 6129......merlyn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts