Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t shoot much shotgun anymore so I’m going to sell the K80 and get a new auto for when everyone wants to go play. Is the Beretta A400 still a good choice? I remember loving my old 391 but I know they’re no longer made.

It’ll mostly be for sporting clays and skeet. 😬

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. A400 is still a good choice. There is a “Multi-Target” version of A400 for target shooting. Very good, priced around $2500 new

You could still get used 391 if you look hard, around $700-$800
I don’t think I’ve seen any 391s for under $1400

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
I remember loving my old 391 but I know they’re no longer made.
You can still find them. Go look on GunsInternational.com. They have a decent inventory to pick from. The A400's are very good as well. IMO the 391's are a better made though. Better trigger, and less springs in the forearm. They have a kind of boooinnnggg ring to them when you shoot-em. The 391 does not have this. My shooting buddy has the A-400. He has the kick-off feature on his. The shotgun wants to kind of spring forward between shots. Its pretty annoying to me. Not sure if its the guns action? Or the Kick-off feature? Or the combo of both? Maybe someone can throw in their 2 cents on this. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
348 Posts
I don't know how you beat an A400. I have it in 12 ga. K.O. but never shoot that one as the 20 ga. K.O. (with a good bit of weight added fore and aft) is just more fun.

I was a big fan of the 391 for years, but the A400 is better. It reduces recoil better, especially with the K.O. system, and does a much better job of "self-cleaning" the piston sleeve.

Much easier to assemble, too, as they moved the piston sleeve further out on the barrel. Kind of hard to explain unless you have assembled both.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Don't overlook the A300 Outlander Sporting. Nice wood and the gun/gas system is set up especially for target loads. Mine will shoot anything I throw in it. Brand new for $825 when I got mine. I also have a 391 parallel target. Both are great guns.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I just sold my A400 Extreme, that I won in a raffle, for $1300. Low price, and only test fired, but I can't do the goose pit thing. It would cycle anything from 1 oz to 3 1/2" assthumpers without a hitch. I'd sure recommend a Multi, Parallel, or any other A400. I'm just too old to bend my old body around a new gun.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I don’t think I’ve seen any 391s for under $1400
A 391 with 30” barrel is hard to find. If you could live with 28” (for everyone else anyway), They are available, just be patient. Also check Cabela’s used gun, local gun stores- check their online listing to save trips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’ll go against the grain and recommend a new maxus 2 sporting model. Only downside at the moment is no wood sporting model (I’m sure that will change). I have an original maxus sporting clays with the fake carbon fiber stock and it’s by far the softest shooting auto I’ve ever owned. Reliability has been darn near 100% over the course of around 5-6000 shells. Super easy to maintain too. I have owned a beretta 391 and my son currently owns an a300 sporting and that is a nice gun for the money. If I were to buy a new beretta auto that a300 is probably the one I’d get, as it’s similar to my old 391, and priced right to boot!

·
Registered
593 Posts
391 prices are through the roof. 30” Routinely go for $1500-2000

A400 feels totally different. Bigger / fatter.

A300 is more like a 391.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know how you beat an A400. I have it in 12 ga. K.O. but never shoot that one as the 20 ga. K.O. (with a good bit of weight added fore and aft) is just more fun.

I was a big fan of the 391 for years, but the A400 is better. It reduces recoil better, especially with the K.O. system, and does a much better job of "self-cleaning" the piston sleeve.

Much easier to assemble, too, as they moved the piston sleeve further out on the barrel. Kind of hard to explain unless you have assembled both.
How did you get weight in the 20ga kick off stock?

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,485 Posts
A good used a400 MT can often be found for around $1800. Great gun. Use it for sporting. Super low recoil.

·
Banned
348 Posts
How did you get weight in the 20ga kick off stock?
I wasn't easy. Mine is the Upland model, which has most of the K.O. system in the middle of the stock behind the PG. The only thing in the back is the spring to keep the system tensioned, but it is held by a plastic housing against the pad. I wrapped 3/8" lead rod around and around the inlet perimeter, then filed the lead coils as needed to permit the spring housing to fit back into place. Huge PITN, but I wanted something that would still permit me to access to the stock bolt nut in case I ever needed to tighten it.

To flip the shim I would have to remove the lead. Might or might not be easy. Just as soon not find out. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does the multitarget a400 eject hulls less annoyingly to fellow shooters in your squad than other autos?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't overlook the A300 Outlander Sporting. Nice wood and the gun/gas system is set up especially for target loads. Mine will shoot anything I throw in it. Brand new for $825 when I got mine. I also have a 391 parallel target. Both are great guns.

I found an A300 for a friend a couple years ago from grab a gun (I think) for $530 shipped. He really likes it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
A300 Ultima is a good choice in the new semi-auto category...has many 391 features and a few 400 features melded together...available in both 12 and 20 gauge...check them out...you wont be disappointed...here is mine in 20 gauge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
For anyone interested, there is a 20 GA Beretta A303 at Cabela’s Rogers MN store (check their online listing). The price seems reasonable at $400, probably worth more to part it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The A-400 is a solid performer. I have the A-400 Xplor, with K/O and have not experienced a hiccup. It was a challenge to remove the charging handle initially (had to use pliers), but that has loosened a bit. I'd purchase it again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 for the A400. Not perfect but shoots well and takes everything I feed it from 1 oz trap to 3" Magnums. With the KO, it is a soft shooter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts