Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at the local club shoot, my Federal Gold Medal shell separated. After firing, the hull casing separated from the brass base. The brass base ended up behind the ejector and that was a chore to get out! BUT the casing is now lodged half-way down the barrel! It "appears" to be (hopefully not) melted. I tried to do a normal cleaning, but the casing is "solidly stuck"!!

Any ideas......!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried the Bore Snake......did not do it!

I will double check my future reloads, I think this may have been a smooth hull as opposed to the ribbed hull!

I have some Slip 2000, and may try to "soak it" tonight!

·
Registered
799 Posts
We have had this happen a few times at our local club. A jag that someone machined was used from the muzzle end to the breech. The hulls were very tight and had to be forced out with the machined jag. This was in a Browning investor plus barrel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with dimark. If your gun has choke tubes, remove it and for "best" results use a new Federal style wad as it is a little larger in diameter and fairly beefy. Again, as dimark said push the wad (powder cup first) down from the muzzle, that way the wad will catch on the folds of the 8 point crimp. I've helped a lot of shooters on the range remove shells this way using a usually available knock out stick and a used wad.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Saw a shooter some years back knock out one with a piece of copper tubing.
He filed the end to a taper, much like a hypodermic needle.
When tapped thru it peeled a small strip of plastic and the casing came out easily without scratching bore.
Pretty clever.

Regards.....Gerald

·
Registered
362 Posts
Happened to me last weekend. Just push a wad with a thick base down the muzzle of the barrel with a dowel. It will push right out. I threw the last of my smooth federals away when I got home.

Gary Rickard

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Drop a dime down the barrel from the muzzle. Make sure it is laying flat on the hull crimp. Take a dowel, or cleaning rod, and give it a good punch. It will come out through the chamber. Remove the choke tube first. Will not fit down a fixed full choke barrel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here is a smoothie that almost went down the barrel. I do not use the smoothies anymore. I've had several get lodged halfway down the barrel on me. If that hull is fire formed in there, you will need a lot more than a wad to get it out. I use a rifle jag that I ground to a 45 degree angle. It's brass so it won't scratch the inside of your barrel. Work it and peel that hull out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I tried everything spoke of above except the rifle jag. None of it worked but what "Setterman" relayed. Even using a dowel rod they could be troublesome. What I discover was pouring Remoil down the barrel and let soak for awhile. The Remoil made a significant difference for me.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,764 Posts
I tried everything spoke of above except the rifle jag. None of it worked but what "Setterman" relayed. Even using a dowel rod they could be troublesome. What I discover was pouring Remoil down the barrel and let soak for awhile. The Remoil made a significant difference for me.
I would think that the pheasantmaster should be able to wrap his lips around the muzzle and blow it out with his abundant hot air.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts