Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What’s the going rate for a 2009 BT99? Non adjustable comb. Going off the serial number it actually appears to be a BT100 stainless (Did they have a BT100 in 2009?) with a blued BT99 barrel.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If, as I suspect, you're attempting to identify this gun via serial number data from the Browning website, please note that data is notoriously incomplete.

Also, by 2009, the BT-100 had already been out of production for quite a few years, so a 2009 BT-100 is not possible.

It is also not possible to put a BT-99 barrel on a BT-100, or vice versa.

If the gun in question is truly a 2009 production, then it's a BT-99.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a BT-99 grade 3 that was made in '09' with the serial #MN171, has silver nitrate receiver and blued barrel. Pictures would help!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If, as I suspect, you're attempting to identify this gun via serial number data from the Browning website, please note that data is notoriously incomplete.

Also, by 2009, the BT-100 had already been out of production for quite a few years, so a 2009 BT-100 is not possible.

It is also not possible to put a BT-99 barrel on a BT-100, or vice versa.

If the gun in question is truly a 2009 production, then it's a BT-99.
Jeff,
Always appreciate your knowledge on the BT99’s. Was the BT100 the only drop out trigger break open gun Browning made? I am thinking yes. This makes it quite easy to differentiate between the 99 and 100 if someone wasn’t sure. I had two BT100’s at one point. I was thinking they all had BT-100 on the side. The one BT-100 I had, was the matte finish, and maybe it didn’t have that on the side. I simply can’t remember now. There were subtle differences besides just the finish. I know it did not have the eject/extract option on the drop out trigger.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Always appreciate your knowledge on the BT99’s. Was the BT100 the only drop out trigger break open gun Browning made? I am thinking yes. This makes it quite easy to differentiate between the 99 and 100 if someone wasn’t sure. I had two BT100’s at one point. I was thinking they all had BT-100 on the side. The one BT-100 I had, was the matte finish, and maybe it didn’t have that on the side. I simply can’t remember now. There were subtle differences besides just the finish. I know it did not have the eject/extract option on the drop out trigger.
Thanks grntitan! I agree . . . I believe the following points are all correct:

- Whatever other features BT-99s and BT-100s might have, I believe every BT-99 has "BT-99" stamped on the right side of the barrel, and every BT-100 has "BT-100" stamped on the right side of its barrel.

- All BT-100 models have a drop-out trigger assembly. Most of them included the "Ejector Selector". However, the BT-100 "Satin" model (matte black receiver finish like you had) still had the drop-out trigger, but no Ejector Selector . . . and there was no "BT-100" printed on the side of the receiver of the Satin model.

- No BT-99 ever had what is commonly considered to be a "drop-out" trigger assembly. The basic design of the BT-99 won't allow it.

- Quick identification from a distance:
- if you see a rib on lower posts like shown below, it's a BT-99. This is the standard BT-99 rib. No BT-100 ever had a rib like this.
- Higher-post ribs could fool you from a distance, as shown below since this same style rib is used on the BT-100 and some BT-99s.
- If you see the big cross-pin on the receiver, it's a BT-99. No BT-100 has such a component.

- For other receiver differences, see the second set of photos below.

BT-99 standard rib.jpg

BT-99 compared to BT-100.jpg

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Considering you can still buy a brand new BT-99 for $1,200. I'd would feel a 11 year old BT-99 should sell for about 25 percent less, just a ballpark figure with normal wear and tear. I'd adjust about 5% for condition though. So say 20% off for a excellent gun with little to no wear on the barrels,receiver,stock. Or about 30% off for a gun with and handful of scratch's and a couple of dings on the wood, and/or more than 10% loss of blue on barrel or receiver. The shotgun should also have all 3 chokes that came with it. A hard or soft case may add some value to the deal as well depending on condition and value of the cases. 50% off the new price, for a used gun case is a good ballpark place to start pricing it. Again add/subtract 10% or so for condition on the 50% off price line for the case if you want it? Good Luck on the deal. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
558 Posts
I bet that is it. Sounds exactly what I’m seeing. I will try to attach picture.
The picture you posted is not the grade 3. The grade 3 has the gloss finish on the wood and engraving on the receiver. I would have to agree with 1DIRT that the picture you posted is the one you looked at. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Considering you can still buy a brand new BT-99 for $1,200. I'd would feel a 11 year old BT-99 should sell for about 25 percent less, just a ballpark figure with normal wear and tear. I'd adjust about 5% for condition though. So say 20% off for a excellent gun with little to no wear on the barrels,receiver,stock. Or about 30% off for a gun with and handful of scratch's and a couple of dings on the wood, and/or more than 10% loss of blue on barrel or receiver. The shotgun should also have all 3 chokes that came with it. A hard or soft case may add some value to the deal as well depending on condition and value of the cases. 50% off the new price, for a used gun case is a good ballpark place to start pricing it. Again add/subtract 10% or so for condition on the 50% off price line for the case if you want it? Good Luck on the deal. break em all Jeff

I don't know where you can buy a BT-99 for 1200, just googling them everything is over 1300. I do agree with some of what you said when I'm buying used items, but when it comes to these shotguns and others these rules don't seem to apply. since I've joined this forum I have not seen ANY BT-99 for sale for less then a 1000 and some over 2000 and 1 over 3000, I bought a SS Bt-99 for 1200 and started thinking I paid too much, then I was offered 2000

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I don't know where you can buy a BT-99 for 1200,
Try Able Ammo in Huntsville, Tx. for starters, where I got my price from. You can also try Hi-Grade Shooters Supply, and Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE. You can also try Buds Guns in Tenn. I can also get the 100 dollar rebate direct from Browning and lower the price again to 1100 bucks out the door for a brand new Browning Bt-99 shipped free to my FFL. Good Luck on your quest for the perfect shotgun. Why the heck would anyone pay a grand for a used BT-99 is beyond me??? These shotguns have sold new for $1,200 for almost two decades now. break em all Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts