Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks just a quick question how much improvement did you see in your trap game when u went from a non trap gun to a trap gun

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Some then i went back to a mod 12 buildup and did improve more but i messed with the 12 and lost ground,i will get it back i hope when i get the stock adjusted right.Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
it's not the arrow it's the Indian.
Going to have to disagree with that. When you are looking for the last 2-3% to turn you into a great shooter instead of a good shooter the right gun will enable you to do that.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Well I still used a non trap gun (sort of) but, the real improvement came when I had a trap stock made for my 1100 when I first started serious trap shooting . Field guns have too much drop at both the comb and heel. A trap gun (which has a trap stock) allows you eyes to align the barrel with the target and give you a clear look at the target without raising you head. Field guns will work but, you have to work much harder at sight picture adjustment. Trap guns are stocked to eliminate the need for doing this! Trap guns also usually have better triggers than the cheaper line of field guns.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Since the first gun which was a field gun, I have gone through five break open trap guns.
Many changes and adjustments went along with each of these guns.
There was one big jump in average when I went to a trap gun. Maybe 2 birds.
There was another immediate jump when I had my present gun professionally fitted.
All other changes and adjustments, and there were many, didn't amount to much score-wise.
Bill

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Since the first gun which was a field gun, I have gone through five break open trap guns.
Many changes and adjustments went along with each of these guns.
There was one big jump in average when I went to a trap gun. Maybe 2 birds.
There was another immediate jump when I had my present gun professionally fitted.
All other changes and adjustments, and there were many didn't amount to much score-wise.
Bill
I feel the same way. My first gun was a field gun and I have a good trap gun now and it has been professionally fitted and there IS a difference. Steve

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
If your field gun allows you to break good scores don't get rid of it. Keep it in a closet and purchase a trap gun and after 6 months if it's not working out you can always go back. I've known some real good shooters with nice quality trap guns as they look good but in all honesty they shot better with the field gun they entered the sport with.

I shoot a plain Jane 870 TB as it's the only gun I am able to break targets some what on a consistent basis. The name of the game is breaking targets not who looks the best doing it. All most shooters need is a trap stock or build up the field stock or get an adjustable comb. This sport isn't rocket science.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
You have to look at having a trap gun or a skeet gun or a sporting clays gun as a game specific tool.I understand that we all operate on a different budjet but having the right tool for the job makes a difference.....a shooter can never have too many shotguns ;)

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I have seen several new to trap shooting, shoot their field guns, having a 60/40 and even a 70/30 poi. This was due to how their head position was on the stock. The instant these shooters tried a trap gun, their scores went way down as they were shooting over every target. Unless the shooter wants to dedicate themselves to learn to shoot a dedicated trap gun, this may be an extremely frustrating experience. A shooter must first know where their gun is shooting and at what sight picture they have. If you are going to a dedicated trap gun, HAVE IT FITTED TO YOU first. Bill

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I agree that whatever gun you have has to fit you.

I went through an evolution with flat shooters, high shooters, adjustable ribs, adjustable check pieces, butt pads, etc. I would practice and start getting good with the common wisdon adjusted trap gun, and then not be able to hit a thing in the field, and only the trap like presentations in sporting clays. Now my trap gun is fitted and only shoots a little high, my sporting has a parallel target stock that is fitted and shoots flat, as does my hunting gun. I am able to shoot equally in all three even if it is three weekends in a row. I personally am avoiding any gun that is radically different in pointing charactoristics.

If you are a one trick pony and only shoot one sport, and only shoot over traps that are maintained to exact calibration, keep trying until you get what works, but if you shoot two or three shotgun sports, I think it is good to try to standardize.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
If you are a one trick pony and only shoot one sport, and only shoot over traps that are maintained to exact calibration, keep trying until you get what works, but if you shoot two or three shotgun sports, I think it is good to try to standardize.
I didn't reply first because I thought I'd be the only one here saying this.

I started shotgun sports in Trap with a Bunker gun, MX-8B. Did well to the 20s in first 20 rounds at a local club.
Then I got so many advises from trap shooters that all meant well "You're a good shot, you need a trap gun".
I did, Beretta 682X Trap and an ultimate trap gun MX-15. Got my first and second 25s with both of them in couple months.

Then a serious "Problem" started, these two trap guns messed up my Sporting Clays, Skeet, and Dove hunting (with other guns).

I decided the price was too high, my shooting fun can not be limited to Trap only.

I sold both my MX-15 and 682X (on TS) ten years ago, and stay with my SC guns on pretty much every games.
29.5" flat rib O/U with "Standard" SC stocks.

Another year later with my beloved MX-8B, I got my first 100 in Trap.
Now I only shoot SC or Bunker guns.

So the answer to OP question is Yes, trap gun helps in trap. But if you don't absolutely need one to do well in trap.

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
319 Posts
You have to look at having a trap gun or a skeet gun or a sporting clays gun as a game specific tool.I understand that we all operate on a different budget but having the right tool for the job makes a difference.....a shooter can never have too many shotguns ;)
What he said. ^^^^

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
A field guns dimensions are for fluid or instinct shooting meaning bringing the gun from a lowered position up to your face and firing at game. An international skeet gun dimensions are similar that of a field gun because of low gun to mount requirement.

A trap guns dimensions are for static shooting meaning the gun is mounted before you call and shoot your target. A trap stock is designed so your face will land in the same spot each time you mount your gun which aids in consistency and comfort and (should) help increasing your your target hits.

There have been plenty of trap shooting wins shot with field guns over time, but most wins have been with stocks designed to shoot trap targets. Like any pursuit that keeps score most competitors are always looking for ways to increase their scores and trap gun for many is one of the ways to make improvements.

surfer

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been shooting trap for over a year now; started off with my ithaca900skb (namesake) & did incredible with it. I've upgraded to a remington 1100 competition (wood version) with adjustable comb, but have yet to score 25's with it. I've shot all of my 25's with the ithaca alone (& since used to hunting) am more accustomed to covering the bird & vaporizing targets! My rem. I had the comb raised so it would shoot around 2" high @ 13 yards, my scores dropped considerably, to the point where I was going to sell my gun & shoot with the ithaca. I just lowered the comb to match the poi on the 900 & my scores did increase. I'm still hoping I'll get to that 25 with this gun eventually. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm no 27-yard shooter, but I don't think the type of gun is as critical as the fit of the gun to you (allowing you to have the same, consistently repeatable mount every time). Guns made for trap tend to be heavier than field guns, which helps with the recoil. They also tend to have longer barrels, which some folks like (I don't think it's a huge deal...bunker/Olympic shooters tend to use shorter barreled guns and they do well). Trap guns tend to have a higher Point of Impact compared to their Point of Aim, since you're supposed to shoot at the birds as they're rising. This is helpful, but depending on how you shoot, not a huge deal if you can get used to covering the bird up and pulling the trigger. Most of these things you can add/adjust on your existing gun if you don't care too much about looks. It's easy to add weight via clamp on weights or lead tape almost anywhere. You can add an adjustable comb and/or adjustable butt plate. It's all depends on what you want, how much you care about form vs function, and how much you're willing to pay. One of the single best improvements to my Remington 1100 was a Jack West ProCombo stock set. Fully adjustable comb and buttplate (except LOP) and even adds an Auto-Buster recoil absorber for $400...but some folks don't like the plastic/carbon fiber look and would rather pay Wenig or Devault $1500-2500 for a pretty piece of wood.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been shooting trap for over a year now; started off with my ithaca900skb (namesake) & did incredible with it. I've upgraded to a remington 1100 competition (wood version) with adjustable comb, but have yet to score 25's with it. I've shot all of my 25's with the ithaca alone (& since used to hunting) am more accustomed to covering the bird & vaporizing targets! My rem. I had the comb raised so it would shoot around 2" high @ 13 yards, my scores dropped considerably, to the point where I was going to sell my gun & shoot with the ithaca. I just lowered the comb to match the poi on the 900 & my scores did increase. I'm still hoping I'll get to that 25 with this gun eventually. Cheers!
Ithaca 900, I live in southern Ontario also. You mentioned you may sell your Rem 1100, I may be intested Cheers RRP

·
Premium Member
6,000 Posts
folks just a quick question how much improvement did you see in your trap game when u went from a non trap gun to a trap gun
You will be the judge of this in how you will handle the change.

First is, how much difference in POI will be involved.

Second, how well will new stock fit your form. You should get the stock fitted for best results.

Third, can you keep yourself from aiming the new gun? Many folks after switching tend to want to make sure they do well and instead of looking at the target they will want to aim at the target. They will also want to "bead check" consistently if not aiming as they have no trust in new gun.

Now your hunting gun will most likely have a slow, sloppy trigger. If you buy a quality gun with a crisp and lighter set off, your going to "short shoot" a lot of targets till you adjust.

Now after your adjustment period is over and to answer your question specifically, you can break the majority most of the time with a trap gun if you have sound fundamentals, good fit (both stock n POI) and desire.

Two items of advice.

1. Don't try to switch from a field shooter to a 15" high POI. Be shuttle in your transition at first, 3-6 inches.

2. Take a class and have the coach set your stock and POI to you or at least befriend a knowledgeable person at your club that can assist. Don't listen to the club know_it_all's that have the answer to everything and everyone's problem but never seem to help others or themselves proficiency and not all good/excellent shooters have the teaching ability to help others.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
You will be the judge of this in how you will handle the change.

First is, how much difference in POI will be involved.

Second, how well will new stock fit your form. You should get the stock fitted for best results.

Third, can you keep yourself from aiming the new gun? Many folks after switching tend to want to make sure they do well and instead of looking at the target they will want to aim at the target. They will also want to "bead check" consistently if not aiming as they have no trust in new gun.

Now your hunting gun will most likely have a slow, sloppy trigger. If you buy a quality gun with a crisp and lighter set off, your going to "short shoot" a lot of targets till you adjust.

Now after your adjustment period is over and to answer your question specifically, you can break the majority most of the time with a trap gun if you have sound fundamentals, good fit (both stock n POI) and desire.

Two items of advice.

1. Don't try to switch from a field shooter to a 15" high POI. Be shuttle in your transition at first, 3-6 inches.

2. Take a class and have the coach set your stock and POI to you or at least befriend a knowledgeable person at your club that can assist. Don't listen to the club know_it_all's that have the answer to everything and everyone's problem but never seem to help others or themselves proficiency and not all good/excellent shooters have the teaching ability to help others.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts