Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a .380 auto this spring and have never had a Glock but leaning that way. I like the new 42 model but what really interested me was their model 25. Then I find out the market for this particular model is focused on South America. Does anyone know if it is at all available in the US? Thanks. Mike.

·
Banned
331 Posts
Don't know about the model 25 but I sure like my model 42. In fact I have a
"new in the box" unfired Kahr P380 that I purchased last week. Would take
$550.00 for it plus shipping to your ffl. It was $650.00 plus tax.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Glock 25 is not available for US other than law enforcement, I will try to get a 42 myself when they become available, Glock's are just so damn dependable, my 2 cents

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I just did look at the ka-boom, shooter even states he was at fault, I have had very few feed problems with Glock compared to Ruger, using FMJ none with Glock, several with Ruger.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Sky buster,

Not sure where your implication stems from indicating that Glocks have a greater propensity to exhibit a "kaboom" than other make. Operator error, in the form of bad reloading practices, will cause a problem in any gun. I have over 15,000 reloads thru my Glock 34 using coated cast or copper coated bullets without an issue.

Shouldn't blame the gun for "user" error ! Just my two cents worth. YMMV

·
Registered
50 Posts
I carry a glock everyday. Take it to the range monthly and never have any kind of feeding issues with it. It's like an AK when it comes to eating any ammo I throw at it lol.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Sky Buster,

Before you make ridiculous statements such as yours, you should educate yourself first. The Glock pistols do not have any problems with blowing up when used properly. The pistols that did have a problem were from their owners misusing them. As with anything, failure to follow warnings can result in bad things happening. The problem happens when people use ammunition not designed for the pistol more specifically the barrel's rifling. The Glock has the Polygonal rifling and is not designed for non-jacketed lead bullets. That type of rifling is not unique to the Glock pistols and the same risks are there with other pistols using that type of rifling when misused. The Glock is a very reliable pistol and I have never had a feed problem or any other problem for that matter with 1000's of rounds through mine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
By virtue of its simplicity and price, I believe it's hard to argue against the proposition that Glock is the best pistol you can buy. But, it's not for everyone. I think it's the best, but I don't own one - because it doesn't feel right in my hand. If you go with a major name brand, you'll be fine. In my experience, the vast majority of stoppages and failures (with most any pistol) are due either to bad ammo or 'operator error'.

-JW

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I've been waiting for the 25 to be released to the public for years. I don't believe it's going to happen, just rumors.

Buy the 42. I'm going to get one as soon as I get home. I've seen it and handled one and can't get one soon enough. I may get one for each hand. ;-)

Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Don't hold your breath for a Glock 25.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, that Charleton Heston helped campaign for BTW, imported handguns have to meet a point system based upon things like barrel length, overall size, sights, grips, and even cartridge.

The Glock 25 misses the threshold because it is chambered for .380, while identical models chambered for 9mm squeak by.

Yes, under GCA'68, the Glock 25 is a "Saturday Night Special", a term that used to describe a cheap, shoddily made handgun, but in reality banned high quality firearms like the Walther PPK from importation.

As such, it is not available for an American citizen to own.

But the police may own them because, once again, they are exempt from laws that apply to everyone else.

The only way you'll see a Glock 25 available here is if a cop sells his, or if Glock builds a production line for them in the USA, as GCA'69 does not affect domestic manufacture. (And note the anti's have already tried to close this "loophole", making it imperative that GCA'68 gets overturned completely, not just the ammo sales portion of it.)

Edit: Here is the BATF point system. The Glock 25 is said to fail by one point. I've never crunched the numbers for it. But it looks to me like it fails by more.

The ATF import point system:

(A pistol must score a total of 75 points.)

Length: for each 1/4" over 6"….. 1<br>
Forged steel frame ……………….15<br>
Forged HTS alloy frame …………20<br>
Unloaded wt. w/mag (per oz)…… 1<br>
.22 short and .25 auto …….. …….0<br>
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto. 3<br>
9mm parabellum and over ……..10<br>
Locked breech mechanism ………5<br>
Loaded chamber indicator………. 5<br>
Grip Safety ………………. …………3<br>
Magazine safety ………. ………….5<br>
Firing pin block or lock…………. 10<br>
External hammer …………………..2<br>
Double action……………………… 10<br>
Drift adjustable target sight …..10<br>
Target grips………………………… 5<br>
Target trigger………………………. 2<br>

·
Sky Buster
4,029 Posts
Every reloading manual has a disclaimer that states the load data
is for pistols that have a "fully supported chamber" This warning
was put in specically for Glock pistols. The base of the cartridge
is unsupported directly above the feed ramp. When they blow (Ka-Boom)
the top of the barrel (chamber) blows up like a banana peel. I have
personally seen two let go with factory ammunition. One happened (9mm) during
the Smith & Wesson Indoor Nationals. This was witnessed by all 6 members
of the squad. A local indoor range here had a blown Glock .40 on display.
It let go with factory ammo. Glock barrels are not thru-hardend. They
have a very hard outer surface treatment called Tennifer. Under that surface, the metal is not thru hardend. Fracture the Tennifer surface and you will have major
damage. These issue's are well known especially among the law enforcement community. Examine a 9mm or .40 case fired in a Glock pistol. It will
exhibit a slight bulge just above the extractor grove. It bulges at
6:00 to the feed ramp.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
skybuster:

I just performed a cursory unscientific examination of approximately 100 9mm cartridges fired in my Glock 34. Some once fired from factory loads and some from my reloads. I cannot ascertain the "bulge" of which you speak. Can you forward a picture or two that exhibits this phenomena please ?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Got to hold and shoot the Glock 42 today. In two words, "HOME RUN!"

I don't even like the 380 round, but will add the 42 to the stable as soon as availability gets better.

It is smaller than I thought, shot better and kicked less than I would have thought.

Most fly weight 380's have considerable recoil, but this one is a step above a 22 pistol!

FINALLY A 380 THAT WILL ALWAYS WORK!

Buy one with confidence, don't pay attention to detractors and haters. We are talking about a 20,000 PSI round, for heaven's sake. LOL

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
SW M&P. you will not be disappointed and won't look back.

Plus you don't have to pull the trigger to break the gun down as you do with Glocks.

Plus the angle of the grip is WAY more comfortable.

Plus you can shoot non jacketed bullets without fear of Kabooms.

They are superior to Glocks and many, many police and other law enforcement agencies are switching from Glocks to M&P.

Plus its American made.

·
Sky Buster
4,029 Posts
Amboy"

The case bulge issue is most pronounced in the .40 and
.45. The 9mm are the least effected. Many commercial
reloaders don't like brass that have been fired in a
Glock because of the bulge. There are now sizing die's
available made specifically to remove the bulge on brass cases
fired in a Glock.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I agree w/ Shooting Coach Re: the Glock 42, I received mine last week and took it staight to the range. I opened the plastic case loaded the magazine w/ 6 rds, racked the slide and chambered a round, dropped the mag and added a round for a total of 7 rds. Shot steel plates at 15 yrds and the the gun functioned perfectly. I ran a total of 50 rds of Fiocchi practice (FMJ) w/o any problems.
Relative to handling, pointing, sighting, recoil, relibality, it can be summed up in one word, Sweet. This gun will be a major player in the .380 concealed handgun market.

Ernie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts