Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we shot trap yesterday afternoon- winter sun direction is changing and we had real bad glare on our ribs
i thot it was my gun ,maybe due to a lil worn rib blueing but heard several others complain
i also noticed some glare when recently shooting under the lights at a well known gunclub

any suggestions or cures?

wally riebesell

·
Vendor
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thot of using some grease or putting black cloth tape on rib top

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You need tape with a surface to diffuse light. There's a black non-slip tape that is used in bath tubs and other potentionally slippery areas. Try your hardware store.
I've used this tape for a better grip on a 45 auto.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
LadyT must shoot handguns, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. Handy stuff to have around.
Yes I shoot pistols and rifles. Learned about the sight black for the guys shooting the military bolt action matches. The good thing is how easy it is to clean up. I keep a can in the truck all the time just in case.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Almost like sight black

Light a couple candles run the rib into the yellow part of the flames, the soot from this will do the same thing the sight black does.

The target shooters (paper punchers) of my youth used the soot technique getting it from candle, carbide light, any number of flame sources....................................................

Anything that makes a flat black!

Al

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
None of the above will work well (except the non-slip tape I recommended) Look at the ribs on most trap guns. The surface has lines etched on the rib, and on some guns the ribs are concave lengthwise. You have to somehow redirect or diffuse the light to stop the glare. Dulling the suface helps, but not much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts