Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I posted a thread a few weeks ago looking for suggestions on an entry trap gun for my 19yo daughter (She is 5'2" @ 120lb).
One suggested gun as a Beretta A400. Now here it is.. She has been offered a brand new Beretta A400 Xplor (without the kick off hydraulic deal) 28" barrel, 3 optima (I think) chokes, off the rack for $850. Only drawback is, it's a 20g.
She really..really likes the gun but it's her first gun purchase so I've been steering her as best I can.
How much difference will 20g vs 12g make to the casual shooter that is only shooting 2 sometimes 3 boxes of shells every week or two? Only ones I have found online are the version with their kick off hydraulic recoil system for @ $ 1500. Seems like an awfully good deal to pass up. Help here guys

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Like people have said stay away from the 20 for trap. I see new shooters and young shooters come to the club with a 20 gauge all the time and can't hit a thing. 20 gauge is undergunned for this game. Trap shooters deal with distance. Not speed. I bet if you showed your daughter the 12 gauge version of that gun shed be equally pleased. Especially with the kick off system. I have the beretta a300 and my little sister claims it's her gun for trap. Easy to shoot soft recoil.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have that 20ga, to me it is too light and kick just as hard as my 12ga. Then figure in the 7/8 oz loads vs 1oz or 1 1/8oz and it's just not worth the trade off.
My daughter (12 year old) is shooting a 391 with a reduced length stock. That stock also has a shorter grip radius and fits her hand better. If you want a new gun, the A300 and A400 are both available in a reduced length stock.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that 20ga, to me it is too light and kick just as hard as my 12ga. Then figure in the 7/8 oz loads vs 1oz or 1 1/8oz and it's just not worth the trade off.
My daughter (12 year old) is shooting a 391 with a reduced length stock. That stock also has a shorter grip radius and fits her hand better. If you want a new gun, the A300 and A400 are both available in a reduced length stock.
Yeah she wants a new gun and really likes the A400's she has seen. A friend of the family has a small gun shop and has had this 20g A400 on the shelf for too long he says. So he knocked it way down on price for her. But I've always been advised the 20g was just a disadvantage for trap.
She is small enough that she will definitely need the reduced length stock.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A big thing to take into account is the grip radius. It's hard for them to reach the trigger, the 20ga guns are lighter for sure, but the stock dimensions are still to "big". Also, my 20ga A400 will not cycle the reduced recoil loads so you would have to add the cost of the briley handle and closer.
If it sounds like I tried to make this gun work for my daughter and failed... well that's exactly what happened! But hey, I have a great little hunting gun, so it's not all bad, just gotta get used to the purple trim!
IMG_20200414_072306.jpg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A big thing to take into account is the grip radius. It's hard for them to reach the trigger, the 20ga guns are lighter for sure, but the stock dimensions are still to "big". Also, my 20ga A400 will not cycle the reduced recoil loads so you would have to add the cost of the briley handle and closer.
If it sounds like I tried to make this gun work for my daughter and failed... well that's exactly what happened! But hey, I have a great little hunting gun, so it's not all bad, just gotta get used to the purple trim! View attachment 1678509

Either you or another one with similar purple accents is partly to blame here. She saw one just like itbwith the purple and she said it makes it more girly...grrrr. Maybe I can get her to hold off and buy a 12g.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If I were going to do it again, and had a 2k budget, I would get an A400 from Cole's. You can get the receiver any color she wants with the closer and bolt handle. They have some really pretty ones!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
See if you can get ahold of member Trapfail, she debated the same issues this winter. She ended up with an Xcel, and had TronWorks do the stock reduction. She may give her opinion.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
See if you can get ahold of member Trapfail, she debated the same issues this winter. She ended up with an Xcel, and had TronWorks do the stock reduction. She may give her opinion.
You might also contact Candy B for her opinion on shotguns for women.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That gun is an excellent shotgun, but not an excellent trap gun. If she was getting into shotguns for upland and rabbit hunting, it would be perfect, but not for clays. You can really shoot anything you want at trap targets, but you’ll miss a lot more with a gun not suited for it. And that will lead to disinterest and walking away from a great sport. Definitely 12 gauge.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Ok , here are my 5 pesos about it .>>> Let her go for it !! And the reason : 1-A lot of women go more for the look and their heart of something then anything else . 2-There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 20 Ga gun for Trap shooting ! 3- One can find plenty of 1 oz 20 Ga shells . 4-Nothing wrong with 7/8 oz shells ! 5-She is a " casual "shooter , that is a great gun for it and she can go and shoot Clay targets with it ,who come out off 2 different houses . :) :) 6- The price is great , and for about $ 900.oo I would buy that gun in a heartbeat and if does not work ot with it ,you will get more $$ back for it then you payed for 7- It does not have to be the 2.5k gun or way,way more to have good scores . Shall I remind you some of you guys about Mdl 12 guns > flat shooting and good scores . On top of it she is 19 years old , what do you all think will come sooner or later ? I think there used to be a song > Love is in the Air !! Happy weekend & happy shooting

1 - 20 of 91 Posts