Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my 1oz handicap loads hot. Like right on the edge hot. I've been using factory Remington game loads which are 1290FPS and 1oz.

I have AA and Remington hulls to work with, Win and Federal 209A primers. Red Dot, Clay Dot, American Select, and 700X for powders.

Anyone out there have a good one they like before I start experimenting?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I would be looking in the powder company books and websites. I would also be looking at the pattern board with those fast loads before I trusted them for long yardage. The factories make 3 dram equivalent 1 1/8 ounce loads for a reason.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked though all the websites and I have come up with a bunch of loads. That said, I was looking for opinions on one over the other given the components I have available.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
When I first started shooting informal clay targets back in the 1960's, the 1 oz. 1290 fps soft shot "promo" load ( 3 1/4 - 1 -8) was called a donut load because its pattern at handicap distance had a hole in the middle. Maybe they are better now but I still like 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's at 1145 fps. This load is solid anywhere on concrete.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
AAHS hull -- WW209 primer, DownRange DRA12-1 wad:

1) 19.3grs RedDot gives me 1265FPS and busts targets with authority.
2) 20.1grs AmericanSelect gives me 1280FPS and also busts targets with authority.
3) 21.2grs GreentDot gives me 1300FPS and also busts hard.

Note: The above are what my bushings threw out of my press so why I used those weights, and the velocities were averages of 8 rounds over my chrono on a relatively normal day on the West coast. The GreenDot load is the dirtiest, the RedDot quite a bit cleaner, and the American Select the cleanest, BUT... I have not seen American Select anywhere for over a year, RedDot (and Promo) are somewhat available, and perhaps a little less so but still occasionally available there's Green Dot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the following,
B&P or Nobel Sport hull ( any straight wall hull should work)
18.6-18.8 gr IMR 700-X powder
Nobel Sport or Cheddite 209 primer
CB 6100-12 wad
1.0 oz 7-1/2 magnum shot.

This hammers them hard out to long distances, recoil is not bad at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Recipes
Select from the pull down menus to narrow the results. Press the Reset button to clear all fields.

Gauge Length Primer Powder Wad Shot
Gauge Length
Hull Primer Powder Charge Wad Shot FPS Pressure
12-2 3/4" REM STS REM 209 PROMO 19.1 WTW WJII-12100 1 OZ. 1286 PSI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts