Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there tried to harvest wild ginseng? If so, can you make some extra money selling it? I live in the North Georgia Mountains and according to what I've been reading, our mountains, the Appalachians, is the prime place in the US for wild ginseng.

blade819

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone out there tried to harvest wild ginseng? If so, can you make some extra money selling it? I live in the North Georgia Mountains and according to what I've been reading, our mountains, the Appalachians, is the prime place in the US for wild ginseng.

blade819

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Big market for it, Blade. Wild ginseng is preferred. My Pap was a master at finding 'seng. Ridge runners and country folks have been selling ginseng for years. There used to be adds in the back of Fur, Fish and Game for ginseng sales. Pap sold his to a local fur buyer. A web search should reveal some sources on finding and selling your harvest. Good hunting!

·
Registered
356 Posts
there is a show on the HIST cable channel called Appalachian Outlaws. It shows people stealing ( harvesting) ginseng roots on others property and the dangers involved. It is almost as exciting as the elvers in Maine and moonshiners blowing up stills and cars.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the main character Greg Shook, is from my city where I live. Hiawassee GA. The lake that they show on opening credits is right below our mountain.

blade819

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
So Blade, will we be seeing you in a cameo appearance on the show?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Sounds like the Oregon mushroom pickers turf wars.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caught harvesting on Fed land without a permit= 6 months as somebody's bitch and $100k fine. Don't hold your breath for my cameo appearance. I'm one of those "other people" or a "Floridiot". I have some private property that looks primal. Just trying to learn as much as possible. two things to carry though, a GPS and a gun.

blade819

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a ginseng story I love to tell. My father and his older brother could smell it in the woods. My Uncle pretty much made a living digging it. The story goes my moms family sent her out of WV to Washington DC to get away from my dad. He and my uncle went to woods got sang and he chased her down. They sent her back to WV. After a bit the sent her to ST. Louis and Dad and my Uncle hit the woods for more sang. She went back to West Virginia and my dad did too. They got married and we live in ST Louis. My family is rich in digging it in WV and Missouri. Yes my last name is Hatfield and I am proud of that too. MY mom died young and we tell this story alot to the city folk who dont get a root can make that money! Bryan

·
Registered
163 Posts
While I was in high school in Southern IL 1984 I dug enough to buy my girl friend an engagement ring seems like it sold for around $150 per pound (dried) back then. I would also sell golden seal, ginger, and may apple. I could dig enough roots in the summer to provide money through trapping season. Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad/mom were from mingo county wv. Newtown was the small town just few miles from Matewan. My 3X grandfater was Floyd Hatfield who was accused of stealing the pig. Stories from old family members that was something no one was proud of.

·
Registered
411 Posts
it is grown commercially, but is worth pennies on the dollar compared to wild sang.

we made small fortunes on it growing up. still dig some. i buy a pound of seed which is already stratified and broadcast them about every three years.

dug a four prong root last year that had 27 rings on it. just like trees, 27 years old.

proud to be a mountaineer.

steve.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My brother-in-law hunts it on my ground, has for years. He still lives in the same house and drives an old van, so I am guessing he is not getting rich off my ginseng. If he ever pulls up in a new truck I may start asking for a cut.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gr8shot.... great state and Charleston is a very beautiful city. Unfortunately we had another very bad example how the coal/chemical companies run the state just last week. Apparently that has been going on since the coal wars. I wish there was something that could change it. The residents surely deserve better.

blade819

1 - 20 of 31 Posts