Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anybody have an explanation as to how to stop my Browning Crossover would start slapping me in the cheek ? I have been losing weight , but the slap happened in just a few days ! I shot on a Wednesday all was fine then come Sunday, would like to break my jaw ! Gun still patterns same as always 1 sight picture is the same ! Any ideas how to remedy this ? I added pitch to top of recoil pad ,did little or nothing . I tried an adjustable butt plate and lowered my recoil pad onto my chest helped but felt awkward and could not seem to find the same position every time ! I have tried light loads and still get slapped ?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Wow, that is unusual.

I would think you have to go back to the basics and refit your gun after your weight loss. But you changed so many things in such a short period that it seems impossible to diagnose what might have helped or hindered.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have recently experienced the same thing with a new BT 99 I bought. From the first day it beat my cheek to death. I changed pitch incremental in both directions but that didn't work. Went back to my Citori sporting clays edition today and problem solved so it must be the new gun for me. Keep us posted if you figure out what solves it for you so I can try it. Lol.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have increased the pitch with washers as far as 5/16 thick with no help. every thing I have tried and found no relief I have undone . the only thing that has helped is I added around 6 oz. of lead in the butt. and switched from a curved recoil pad to a flat one!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a bt99 and it would hit me in the cheek so hard that I would be bleeding after s couple rounds. We added positive pitch (added washers between the stock and pad on the top) until it got better. It took almost 3/8" to do it, but once done, no more pain. Once you find the correct amount, get a shim cut so you don't crack your pad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a bt99 and it would hit me in the cheek so hard that I would be bleeding after s couple rounds. We added positive pitch (added washers between the stock and pad on the top) until it got better. It took almost 3/8" to do it, but once done, no more pain. Once you find the correct amount, get a shim cut so you don't crack your pad.
Thanks. I'm sure the O.P. thanks you as well. As for my situation, I added 3/8 using washers (both positive and negative) but couldn't correct the issue. I just decreased the forward height of my comb by 1/16 to match my Citori and I plan to switch out to a recoil pad less concave to see if that helps.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
If this is an "all of a sudden" phenomena, something else is causing it.

Maybe you switched brands of shells, different model of shell by same mfg.

Bu the sudden change says it is something that changed instantly rather than a gradual change like losing weight (unless you have some magic powder and if that is the case - you better share it)

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Have you changed how you pull the guns stock into your shoulder pocket? Don't give the gun a running start at your shoulder by holding it too loose!

HAP

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you changed how you pull the guns stock into your shoulder pocket? Don't give the gun a running start at your shoulder by holding it too loose!

HAP
I did not change the way way I mount or hold the gun that I am aware of , I have been trying different places since this started and it seems the looser I hold the gun the less I feel the slap !

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did not change the way way I mount or hold the gun that I am aware of , I have been trying different places since this started and it seems the looser I hold the gun the less I feel the slap !
Go to Google and type in either Dave Berlet or Brad Dysinger and pitch. A little about 5 minute video on stock pitch. If you go to O pitch this will in most cases take care of cheek slap.

Dave Berlet

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go to Google and type in either Dave Berlet or Brad Dysinger and pitch. A little about 5 minute video on stock pitch. If you go to O pitch this will in most cases take care of cheek slap.

Dave Berlet

The stock is cut with 0 pitch I have not tried smimming the bottom of the

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Sounds like the gun is jealous that you lost weight, and figures you are going to leave it and move on anyway. What do you say when it happens?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts