Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seem to have fallen in a rut. Was averaging 94, but the last two weeks have been lucky to shoot 87s. I have seem to have picked up a few bad habits, with lifting my head, stopping my guns, and having a hard time staying focused. What do you guys do to get you out of a rut once you fall into them.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Did you change something, maybe without realizing it? Holding your gun a little lower or your mount is not quite the same. Concentrate on the basics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I encourage serious trapshooters to have a clear base shooting system to operate from, that includes your set-up, stance, mount, move, and follow-through. Gun fit and equipment are also components to that as well. Assuming that you have that, review it and begin to practice it again. What I do in a slump is that I review my shooting system and see how I may have deviated from it. I then take a case of ammo, get a private field and shoot from station 3 at 16 yards until I am smoking every target. I will then move to 4 and 5 and then to 1 to see if there are any particular targets that are still rough and I make adjustments mostly to my set-up (gun hold and eye hold). I will then go to my yardage and shoot a round or two to finish off the day. Hope that helps.

Follow the Smoke
Kirby

·
Registered
152 Posts
One bird at a time. Quit picking your head up to see the results of your break.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Don't change anything that worked before. If you did, go back. I had a season long slump twenty years ago, changed barrels, stocks, loads, guns and got no better. Had a talk with myself one night and asked what worked all those years you shot mid to upper nineties. The TB, 30" full, AA type load, 7 1/2s. It must have worked as I'm sitting in second place for average at my home club at age 75.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
As nosticks said...one bird at a time. Don't worry about the last one, it's in the history books and don't think about the next bird...it hasn't happened yet.
ONE AT A TIME!

Reactions: ThatsmeKB

·
Banned
789 Posts
Personally I would take a break for a week maybe two. During that time I might consult a coach or just think through what has been going on. Before I started back up I'd have some kind of plan for improvement. Shooting continually when you are having issues just reinforces bad habits and may prolong a serious slump.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm with wizard, whether it's baseball or shooting, take a couple of weeks (at minimum) off and you'll often go back to your original muscle memory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I would take a break for a week maybe two. During that time I might consult a coach or just think through what has been going on. Before I started back up I'd have some kind of plan for improvement. Shooting continually when you are having issues just reinforces bad habits and may prolong a serious slump.
I like this tip very much. I think I might be entering a slump... I think caused by just doing “maintenance” practice and not shooting enough to correct errors.

My plan is to take a week off and find out where a few of my AA shooting buddies might be. Organise to shoot a few rounds along side them. I pick up on their rhythm and timing and once in sync always shoot better.

Good luck to the original poster

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I'll be honest I'm going through the same thing. Shot awesome before covid and I'm shooting myself out. I find if I just go and have fun, I do much better. Practice with purpose but have fun. If you were shooting that good before we know how and what todo to break a bird, myself I started thinking way to much about something I knew how todo, I couldn't do it anymore.
It really is this simple
Head down, break your target! When you step to that line the last and i repeat very LAST thing you want to think about is what others do here! It will confuse your mind so bad you will miss everytime. There's a time and place for trying things. It's like golf the more people that give you pointers while your sucking the worse you're gonna do. Remember head down, touch the bird! Good luck, ruts suck!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'd look for professional help. I did when I went into a slump where all my 16 yard and handicap scores all were about, on average, 88/100.

I called up the man, George Reppas, who got me shooting and told him what was going on. He said, " Meet me at the gun club on Wednesday morning, bring all your guns, and 300 shells, we'll figure out what is going on."

He watched me shoot my first few targets... five from Post 3, five from Post 2... I was ready to move over to Post 4, as that was the way he started out his sessions, He touched me on the arm and said, "You're shooting the streak. Soft focus your eyes up in the area where you expect to see and break the target. Wait for it to come to you."

I swear, after that I missed less than a handful of targets the rest of the morning. Even in doubles, I broke 48/50.

California Trapshooting Hall of Fame

You can't watch yourself shooting, and even if you could, it would be hard to analyze what you're seeing.

A good shooting coach will help you more than you realize. As you're in South Dakota, you are not far from Wyoming. Phil Kiner lives there and gives clinics. While I've not met the man, I've got his video and it has helped me greatly.

Good luck with your shooting,

Pat

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have done a lot of shooting since 2005 i have had my ruts. this is what i do it simple take minimum of 2 weeks off. Go out and do something else go see a move on the weekend have a BBQ play some golf go fishing. just get away from the range.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Everyone has one at some point. As many have said take a short break and right back to fundamentals...go run 100..1 bird at a time

1 - 20 of 20 Posts