Trapshooters Forum banner

Getting load tested

1500 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  crustygalloot
Have a reload I am working with.what is involved with getting it tested or verified.who does this c,cost & time.do they some of the shells or just an ingredients list?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
15,248 Posts
Precision Reloading and Downrange Wads are the two I'm aware of, and I don't believe either are taking new clients at the moment.

You need to send your actual shells that you've loaded, they aren't going to load them for you, which need to go UPS or Fedex Ground ONLY, and need to send at least 6 shells for PR. From Precision Reloading: "The cost is $40 per 5 shot string OR $25 per 5 shot string if 2 or more shot strings are tested." So figure on it being a 70 or 80 dollar adventure by the time you're done. And you also need to ensure that your load is at least somewhat vaguely sensical, I'm sure they won't be too happy if you blow up their test rig with something really off the rails.

· Registered
494 Posts
Precision Reloading and Downrange Wads are the two I'm aware of, and I don't believe either are taking new clients at the moment.

You need to send your actual shells that you've loaded, they aren't going to load them for you, which need to go UPS or Fedex Ground ONLY, and need to send at least 6 shells for PR. From Precision Reloading: "The cost is $40 per 5 shot string OR $25 per 5 shot string if 2 or more shot strings are tested." So figure on it being a 70 or 80 dollar adventure by the time you're done. And you also need to ensure that your load is at least somewhat vaguely sensical, I'm sure they won't be too happy if you blow up their test rig with something really off the rails.
I used Perscion recently on a 20 gauge load. Used it for years but sources said that it was unsafe. Well turned out they were right. Quit a bit over pressure even though the load was listed in manuals.
So it is very useful tool to use...........

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I load a gun club Hull with cheddite primer,cb0175 wad,13.1 gr. Guess you can think extralite powder and 1/2 oz of shot. this is a 12 ga not a 410. I shoot skeet with it. It works well and has no recoil. Caught static on this site before because it wasn’t tested. Personally I see no reason unless to find velocity. It is the same as a published 3/4 oz load other than I removed 1/4 oz of shot and more than a grain of powder.dont think it will be even close to the pressure limit. I also use a filler to take up space due to the shot difference in the wad. Guess you disagree but it has been working well for me.

· Registered
87 Posts
Interesting. 12ga Gun Club hulls are sure a lot cheaper & more plentiful than .410 hulls!

What or where is the published load you mentioned? All I can find for Extra-Lite (on Alliant's online reloading guide) for 3/4 oz are 1250 and 1300 fps with the 0178 (7/8 oz) wad, and Rem primers with Rem hulls. Don't know why they show it with 0178 wads and not 0175, which as you know is generally for 3/4 oz.

Have you chrono-tested any of these?
I've been happy with this one:
Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. 12ga Gun Club hulls are sure a lot cheaper & more plentiful than .410 hulls!

What or where is the published load you mentioned? All I can find for Extra-Lite (on Alliant's online reloading guide) for 3/4 oz are 1250 and 1300 fps with the 0178 (7/8 oz) wad, and Rem primers with Rem hulls. Don't know why they show it with 0178 wads and not 0175, which as you know is generally for 3/4 oz.

Have you chrono-tested any of these?
I've been happy with this one:
Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX
Z xxxx
The loads are listed on the paper inside the bag of wads. 14.5 grr of extralite in rem hull is 1200 FPS w rem primer. Has a pressure of 6300. Now I cheateted and used a ched primer. Maybe a little hotter but not that much.now maybe I have 6700/6800 pressure.very soft but effective. That’s what I based my 1/2 oz load on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.