Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just open the box on new browning combo. Shot the unsingle bbl first and couldnt hit the broad side ofthe barn. Put o/u bbl on and smashed bird after bird. Question is best fastest way to get unsingle shooting like the o/u . My guess is shoot some paper at fairly close range. Say 15 yards. And just adjust till they hit in same spot . Any better ways ? Don

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just bought one myself took me about 1 month to adjust it to shoot
were I look. Out of the box the gun shoots extremely flat you must raise the
comb quite a bit in 1/8" increments until you achieve your optimum p.o.i.
everyone has there own comfort zone...... I also had to lower the front
sight to the halfway point . The front sight I did first then I stood on
post 3 with straight aways and kept adjusting my comb 1/8" at a time
until I was smashing them. I then went to a pattern board to do my fine
tuning. I really like the gun now that it is adjusted but I almost sold
it out of frustration glad I stuck it out. It is amazing how many
different opinions there are on this subject thats what took so long
for me to figure it out I had to wade thru all the opinions and slowly
but surely figure it out for myself. When you lower the front sight
you must loosen the allen screws in the middle of the rib first.
Good Luck !!!! Paul
if you have anymore ? let me know

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Pat's right on. Too many combo owners concentrate on the unsingle first and then must adjust the comb when shooting the O/U set. Instead, use the adjustable comb to get the O/U shooting where you're looking and then the unsngle's adjustable rib to dial it in. That way, the comb remains stationary and POI remains constant from barrel to barrel.

Ed

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
And, don't forget the very big advantage you have. You now have one barrel shooting where you want it to shoot. All you have to do is get the other barrels shooting the same place.

Most of us get a new combo and do not know if we need to raise or lower the POI. Many shoot a combo for years and do not realize that the different barrels are shooting at different places. They change shot size, foot position and port the barrels but never figure out the problem.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
508 Posts
This discussion is exactly why I have resisted getting a combo set...trying to get 3 barrels shooting to the same place...why pay for this frustration? With my XT - and no adjustable comb - I can shoot singles with a Mod or ImpMod in the top barrel; handicap with the bottom barrel (heavy loads recoiling straight back help the "felt" recoil don't ya know?); and doubles with the same gun...and no "adjustment" worries. Just one dummy's opinion. Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
But Ed, with a combo you can have three barrels ported instead of only two. A combo also increases the fun of cleaning barrels by 50%. See what you are missing?

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dang! I always learn too late...oh well, it took me more than a couple of years to learn that you are supposed to buy low and sell high...no wonder my hair turned gray when I was in my 30s. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hot at paper today. Bottom barrel was grouped a couple inches (main pattern) high. Changed to unsingle and it shot seven inches low. Took about 6 shots to get it also shooting high. Will shoot some clay tomorrow and see how it turned out. Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.