Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 870 fixed skeet barrel and a set of invector plus extended chokes and want to know if it is possible to have the barrel modified for this? If possible would like some references. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Your barrel must have a min. OD of at least .860 and a max. bore diameter of .745 (can be smaller however).. if these chokes will work.. I don't think the Remington barrels are that thick.. but if they are.. Stu Wright will do a fine job of installing the Invector plus tubes..

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Joe--Since it is a 870 you could probably find another barrel to suit whatever needs you wanted to meet. The price of boring and threading will probably be similar in price to what a used barrel with chokes already installed. Just trying to offer options.

Matt

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Matt -- I'm actually using a sportsman 58 TB for trap but have a 26" skeet which I plan on using for the local 5-stand. I'll just have to change barrels for the long shots. A "new to me" 870 barrel will require cutting gas holes as well. Oh well, its the price to shoot vintage guns. Joe

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
I listed an 870 express barrel w/ screw chokes up here last night, would definitely be a cheaper route for you...

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there a gunsmith who still bores gas ports in 870 barrels for use on a Model 58?

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Ahlmans in MN still advertises it. Pretty much a nothing job if you have a jig you can clamp onto the band to guide the drill bit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Briley thin walls will work in your 870 skeet barrel. I have an older 1100 barrel that I had Briley do back in the mid 80's.

Dale

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skeet man is right that it's pretty easy with a jig. I wonder how much briley would charge? Thin wall chokes aren't cheap, I have them on my O/U tubes, maybe give them a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.